DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently October 23rd, 2020, 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2020, 4:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: March 12th, 2013, 11:12 am
Posts: 599
Holo Spring LVL 1 DAC with upgraded, internal UX208 USB receiver. Mint, like new (no scratches or marks, cosmetically without issue), functionally perfect. All original double shipping box, foam inserts, plastic shipping bag. DC area local sales, will not ship. $1100 cash.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2020, 4:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 1:19 pm
Posts: 484
What are you replacing it with? Just curious. Thanks for bringing it over pre-Covid for a listen while I was considering getting Charlie's Chord Qutest.

One question that might help interest, do you know what the upgrades are for Level 3 (Kitsune edition) and whether they are retrofittable?

It sucks that we have this damn pandemic, I would love to hear it again once it warms up properly.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2020, 5:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: March 12th, 2013, 11:12 am
Posts: 599
Hey David, getting Holo May KTE.
The level 3 Holo Spring replaced internal copper wiring with silver wire. Also a couple caps were upgraded. These mods you could easily do yourself. But I think the LVL 3 had a silver wire main PT while my LVL 1 is copper wire PT. Pretty minimal changes overall except for the main PT.




David McGown wrote:
What are you replacing it with? Just curious. Thanks for bringing it over pre-Covid for a listen while I was considering getting Charlie's Chord Qutest.

One question that might help interest, do you know what the upgrades are for Level 3 (Kitsune edition) and whether they are retrofittable?

It sucks that we have this damn pandemic, I would love to hear it again once it warms up properly.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2020, 5:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 1:19 pm
Posts: 484
TubeDriver wrote:
Hey David, getting Holo May KTE.
The level 3 Holo Spring replaced internal copper wiring with silver wire. Also a couple caps were upgraded. These mods you could easily do yourself. But I think the LVL 3 had a silver wire main PT while my LVL 1 is copper wire PT. Pretty minimal changes overall except for the main PT.


A silver PT is, ahem, gilding the lily. (at least it is not a GOLD wired transformer).

I did get the Qutest, and very much enjoying it, so unfortunately not currently in the market for a more or less lateral move, but is sounds like a great unit for someone looking to step up to nice DAC at a great price, with some DIY possibilities in the upgrades. If I didn't have the Qutest, I would probably jump on this.

Best of luck finding a new home for the DAC, it should make someone happy.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2020, 5:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: March 12th, 2013, 11:12 am
Posts: 599
Yea, funny thing is that I have always heard issues with silver wire. It has some neat attributes sonically but only works in systems that are really voiced/built for silver. Just dropping silver in systems originally built up with copper wiring causes some odd sonic issues IMHO. Not talking about wiring in PT though, don't have any real experience with that.

David McGown wrote:
TubeDriver wrote:
Hey David, getting Holo May KTE.
The level 3 Holo Spring replaced internal copper wiring with silver wire. Also a couple caps were upgraded. These mods you could easily do yourself. But I think the LVL 3 had a silver wire main PT while my LVL 1 is copper wire PT. Pretty minimal changes overall except for the main PT.


A silver PT is, ahem, gilding the lily. (at least it is not a GOLD wired transformer).

I did get the Qutest, and very much enjoying it, so unfortunately not currently in the market for a more or less lateral move, but is sounds like a great unit for someone looking to step up to nice DAC at a great price, with some DIY possibilities in the upgrades. If I didn't have the Qutest, I would probably jump on this.

Best of luck finding a new home for the DAC, it should make someone happy.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2020, 6:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 1:19 pm
Posts: 484
Forgot to say, I would love to hear your Holo May when it is safe again. I am keeping my ears open for an upgrade down the road.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group