DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: July 18th, 2020, 10:38 pm 

See link -

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... pi-4-case/

PostPosted: July 18th, 2020, 11:34 pm 

mix4fix wrote:
Aren't those bare boards? I would need it enclosed.

You just buy a case to put the RPi in. There are lots of cases for them.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 8:22 am 

Check out this complete MP3 player for less than $8. It also take a 32MB micro SD card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/128GB-Playback ... 0009.m1982

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 9:05 am 

This will only work if the car radio has an aux jack
If this is a work vehicle then why does not the company get it fixed

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 9:17 am 

I think something like what Tom is suggesting (though the price seems a little low to me) or a repurposed smart phone is the best option.
1. It already is set up as a player for MP3 music.
2. Does not require putting it into an enclosure
3. Has battery power, which is useful if your charger is tied up with something else (like charging your cellphone)
4. Does not need running a network (basically a WiFi hotspot) and having another device to control it.
5. For a smartphone with a USB-C connector, you can always get a OTG cable that will allow you to connect up a USB stick. If you get a splitter version of the cable, you can supply power AND access a USB stick.
6. Getting an OS on a RPi means downloading an image, burning it on a memory card, connecting it up to a monitor and keyboard to do the install or network configuration (i.e., you need to have it interfacing initially in a network), and then setting up wireless hotspot so it can operate standalone. This can be done headless with SOME distributions, but not all. Some distributions also need you to network into the RPi to configure it. If you are not comfortable with that, it is going to be frustrating to get it running initially. It is not hard, but will take some trial and error, and you just need to expect that going in. I do run Volumio, and it does install and work pretty easily headless either through a webbrowser or their downloadable Android App. But you will need to configure it to look for your files on the USB stick, so it may take some attention every time you change (I am not certain of that, I have only used Volumio in a domestic environment accessing files on a remote server). Just be forwarned.
7. I think the complexity of an RPi solution is more than can be safely maintained in a vehicle. It requires more attention to find and select music, and potentially to swap out USB sticks. For mobile use, you want an interface that is accessible and usable with minimal distraction. I do not think the RPi solutions are there, whereas Digital Audio Players or smartphones are. They have an easy, navigable interface and can be controlled via volume or selector buttons on the device.

Just my thoughts on the subject, for what it is worth.

David

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 10:56 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:

Since my Malibu does not have bluetooth but does have a 3.5mm aux input jack a player like this allows me to use an older similar player to get my music in the car. I believe most car radios have the provision for analog aux input if not on the front then on a connection on the rear. If Steve is using the same van for all calls he could check and add an extension cable if there is a jack on the rear. For $8, what do you have to lose?

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 10:57 am 

tomp wrote:
Pelliott321 wrote:

Since my Malibu does not have bluetooth but does have a 3.5mm aux input jack this allows me to use an older similar player to get my music in the car. I believe most car radios have the provision for analog aux input if not on the front then on a connection on the rear. If Steve is using the same van for all calls he could check and add an extension cable if there is a jack on the rear. For $8, what do you have to lose?

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 11:14 am 

mix4fix wrote:
Aren't those bare boards? I would need it enclosed.

You do understand that you are communicating on a DIY blog? Definition = Do It Yourself

You can buy enclosures on eBay and customize one to suit your own needs. If you can't or won't do that -- buy a completed electronic device retail.

Here is but one of many examples available for the hobbyist:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Aluminu ... Swi0RXzERp

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

lol

Attachments:
200w.gif
200w.gif [ 3.12 MiB | Viewed 6603 times ]

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 4:54 pm 

HAL wrote:
rpi as Roscoe posted is a Raspberry Pi (latest version is RPi4) Linux based single board computer. It runs off 5VDC via a USB port. It has an onboard stereo DAC to use for music replay.

There are headless music player software that run on the RPi, so no need for display or keyboard. You can use an Android of iOS phone to control it via Bluetooth or WiFi. Volumio is one, and a few other software packages.

You burn a microXD card with the music player OS, It has WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, USB2 and USB3 ports.

Lots of YouTube videos on RPi's and music OS's to use. Lots of places you can find via Google searches explaining the setup.

Any cell phone with a headphone output will work as well, just load the MP3's on the phone.

Hope that gets you started.

Can you control it with an APP?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next