DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently January 19th, 2019, 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: January 6th, 2019, 12:23 am 
Offline

Joined: April 22nd, 2013, 12:58 pm
Posts: 172
I would like to suggest that Sashi, Tom, and Walt be suspended for a cooling-off period of one month. There is not one discussion that they have engaged in recently that has not degraded into a shouting match. They are driving away other people on this board who have tried to retain a positive nature, but their voices are drowned out by the pedantic and didactic fanaticism that seems to dominate what should be some very simple discussions.

I am not pleased to bring this forward publicly, but I cannot suggest sanctions behind closed doors.
Other people have tried to provide constructive feedback when the screaming got too loud to bear, but it was ignored or quickly forgotten.
Ban me, boot me, unfriend me, delete this thread - I don't care.
What I do care about is that good people are being pushed to the sidelines because of this nonsense, and I want to hear their voices again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 6th, 2019, 9:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 3:31 pm
Posts: 1054
If I appear to have been involved in a shouting match I apologize as that was not my intention. Yes, sometimes I get into lengthy discussions that have been characterized as "word salad", but some of these topics are involved. Earlier today I broke out of the horn thread and started another on power supply concepts which I mentioned was involved and could be ignored if individual interest is not there. I think a better solution might be for detailed technical discussions to immediately be broken out to other threads where they can be ignored if so chosen. That way anyone could pick the level of detail they desire. Sorry again if I caused any discomfort to those sensitive to energetic discussions but sometimes the best results come from those discussions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 6th, 2019, 11:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 14th, 2013, 2:19 pm
Posts: 631
Several intelligent and thoughtful people, always willing to help have stopped posting here for that reason. There are also guys who are more on the learning side of the curve who are unwilling to subject themselves to this. They sell help elsewhere.

Just the way it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 6th, 2019, 2:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: June 22nd, 2013, 11:00 am
Posts: 429
tomp wrote:
If I appear to have been involved in a shouting match I apologize as that was not my intention. Yes, sometimes I get into lengthy discussions that have been characterized as "word salad", but some of these topics are involved. Earlier today I broke out of the horn thread and started another on power supply concepts which I mentioned was involved and could be ignored if individual interest is not there. I think a better solution might be for detailed technical discussions to immediately be broken out to other threads where they can be ignored if so chosen. That way anyone could pick the level of detail they desire. Sorry again if I caused any discomfort to those sensitive to energetic discussions but sometimes the best results come from those discussions.


I am still unhappy with our speaker wire conversation. It's not whether one is better than another. It was the way the conversation went down. Something like that can make someone get put off.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 6th, 2019, 2:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: June 22nd, 2013, 11:00 am
Posts: 429
People should also not crap on other people's threads. It has even happened in the past were I post a thread and someone else responds with something that is harmful to the subject of the thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 6th, 2019, 2:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: July 17th, 2016, 6:24 am
Posts: 563
mix4fix wrote:
People should also not crap on other people's threads. It has even happened in the past were I post a thread and someone else responds with something that is harmful to the subject of the thread.


Serious question.

I have shown you parts express forums where they have dedicated experienced (in the speaker you are building) staff for support. They also have video for building the crossover which I liked earlier.

Why are you not using the facilities provided by Parts Express? What makes you think the people here who have ZERO experience building these speakers will be able to guide you better?

_________________
Shashi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 6th, 2019, 2:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: July 24th, 2015, 4:17 pm
Posts: 820
Location: Parkville, Maryland
tomp wrote:
If I appear to have been involved in a shouting match I apologize as that was not my intention. Yes, sometimes I get into lengthy discussions that have been characterized as "word salad", but some of these topics are involved. Earlier today I broke out of the horn thread and started another on power supply concepts which I mentioned was involved and could be ignored if individual interest is not there. I think a better solution might be for detailed technical discussions to immediately be broken out to other threads where they can be ignored if so chosen. That way anyone could pick the level of detail they desire. Sorry again if I caused any discomfort to those sensitive to energetic discussions but sometimes the best results come from those discussions.


Yes -- ditto. My goal was to prevent one of the guys from damaging vintage horn drivers that may be difficult to replace at any price. The thread took on a life of its own.

That said -- Tom and I are like two Rams on a hill-side butting horns. None of our exchanges are malicious and we always have a warm handshake for each other when we meet in person. It's essentially mental intercourse and that's what engineers do in the working world. We throw enough shit at the wall in the hopes that some of it sticks.

_________________
Walt


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 6th, 2019, 3:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: June 4th, 2013, 2:39 pm
Posts: 134
I'm glad to see some responses here, and I hope folks will take Ferdinand's comment in the proper spirit. Though I'm way across the country, I enjoy following the projects and discussions and try to contribute when I can. But it's gotten to the point that I dread opening the Daily Digest!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 6th, 2019, 3:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: June 22nd, 2013, 11:00 am
Posts: 429
Cogito wrote:
mix4fix wrote:
People should also not crap on other people's threads. It has even happened in the past were I post a thread and someone else responds with something that is harmful to the subject of the thread.


Serious question.

I have shown you parts express forums where they have dedicated experienced (in the speaker you are building) staff for support. They also have video for building the crossover which I liked earlier.

Why are you not using the facilities provided by Parts Express? What makes you think the people here who have ZERO experience building these speakers will be able to guide you better?


Technically, that is crapping on threads. This thread is not about any project.

----------

We are talking about members and forum conduct. My main example is when I made a thread and somebody else crapped on it. In the guys mind, he thought there was nothing wrong with that.

One time, I made a comment on closing the forum because I felt that there is no teamwork anymore. Maybe my "fire 'em up" speech is more a reality now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 6th, 2019, 4:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: July 17th, 2016, 6:24 am
Posts: 563
Steve, Relax.

This is not one of those forums where there are thousands of active users, hundreds of active threads and several full-time moderators. Roscoe is doing us a favor by making this forum available to us in his free time. Last time I checked, he pays for it and he has full-time job.

The number of active participants here is in single digits and we all know each other outside of this forum. Participants here are not interacting with strangers for the most part. The familiarity of participants makes for casual interaction and sometimes things get heated in debates. OTOH, we go weeks without any posts.

While I agree that your project post got side tracked, I cannot place the blame only the people giving response. You were direction less for most part. Even now, you are asking what size board to get for mounting the crossover. I havent seen any indication that you are entertaining the help videos provided by PE.

Having said that, lets keep expectations realistic in this forum. For most part we are friends and we behave that way.

What I find strange in this thread is, the people the three people who are complaining (and I support their complaints) are not active participants. I guess they are happen to go three weeks without any activity here than a silly argument among friends.

_________________
Shashi


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group