DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 9th, 2018, 1:07 pm 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
Let's start a thread regarding the possibility of club speakers.

First, we'd need a consensus that this is something we wish to and will commit to doing.

So, to that end, I think we need a poll.

After that, and assuming an affirmative response from members willing to commit, we can choose a direction: buy parts, parts on hand, etc.; as well as design parameters.

Meets will be needed in person, as well as a lot of cordial online collaboration. There will need to be a bit of brutal honesty at times, as we often sugar coat our real listening impressions of others' systems in the interest of friendship. Let's try and keep our mothers out of it. :mrgreen:

Thoughts?

Also, a preamp that can allow sources to be played at the same time (like a DJ mixer). Needs a headphone to listen to the upcoming tune before volume is raised.

Turntables that have pitch control to match BPM of each other.

Play music non-stop at C.A.F. even if it is not beat mixed.

"Club D.I.Y."

PostPosted: October 12th, 2018, 9:35 pm 

I misunderstood when they said "club" speakers. I thought they were talking about P.A. speakers, and not a "group" speaker project.

However, what about making a speaker that looks like a P.A. speaker? I am talking single 15 inch w/horn with/without matching 18 inch subwoofer. Or dual 15 inch drivers w/horn.

Old school grey speaker carpet, old school speaker grills, the whole nine yards, etc.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2018, 9:57 am 

Are you talking about speakers that would be used for reinforcing live music especially singing in a club venue but do it much better than usual in a club setting? If that is the case spatial dispersion would be a critical factor.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2018, 10:51 am 

I believe that this is the club and the speakers are for shows like CAF. If they turn out really well some members might want a pair. My guess is that there will be significant disagreement on what to build so perhaps we should consider more than one design.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2018, 11:14 am 

Considering the technology and materials available today my best guess is the place to start would be subs. The laws of physics are much easier to deal with at low frequencies and there are many speakers out there that have as a major limitation true bass. There are enough different ways to make a sub that it would be interesting. Once the subs are done, designing the rest of the system would be easier than trying to do full range in the mains.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2018, 12:05 pm 

tomp wrote:
Considering the technology and materials available today my best guess is the place to start would be subs. The laws of physics are much easier to deal with at low frequencies and there are many speakers out there that have as a major limitation true bass. There are enough different ways to make a sub that it would be interesting. Once the subs are done, designing the rest of the system would be easier than trying to do full range in the mains.

Maybe. The speakers I use for home theater work (part of a 5.0 array) are my ancient Infinity RS-2.5 speakers. None of the original drivers survived but I was able to maintain the Watkins dual-drive bass scheme with after-market drivers. These are three-way systems with tweeter, dual mid-range drivers, and "Watkins" dual voice-coil 12-inch woofers. The lower crossover is switchable -- the choice is either 125-Hz. or 250-Hz. The woofers reach to below 25-Hz. without breaking a sweat and a movie like the 4K version of Dunkirk, with Nazi bombing, shakes my family room -- and that with a 100-watt/channel Sony AV receiver.

Anyhow -- what would be impressive at a future CAF would be a club full-range floor-standing speaker system that gets the music right (neutral and musical with nice mids and sweet extended treble) and is not shy about reproducing organ peddle work that hits some strong low C's. My ancient 2.5s have dipole mids without a box and vocals come through naturally.

To top it off -- some nice wood work.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2018, 12:35 pm 

It is not that hard to build a P.A. speaker. A box-type speaker that looks the part and sounds the part. Going to a jazz club isn't perfect, it's loud. It is for quantity, not quality.

Now, we can use better drivers, better crossing-over, and better finish if we like. And be designed for a man-cave instead of a ballroom of a typical hotel wedding party. But, the overall concept is the same. To crank the music while you and your buddies are playing pool, or just so you can dance around and play air guitar.

I also was thinking to take it to another level on basically having a D.J. type setup at a C.A.F. where music would be non-stop. It gives us the "cool" factor for at C.A.F. and any one of us can be a D.J. for a moment. You put on a record, and your like "wow, I'm making music". We would be "Club D.I.Y."

1. Two identical turntables w/identical cartridges. One is playing something/the other one is being cued up. There would be no interruptions in the music. We can use music servers as well, but there is no "cool" factor in that. The music doesn't have to be club D.J. beat mixed (it would require turntables with pitch control and stronger torque). Or tell Technics to give us a pair of the real deal.

2. A pre-amp built like Roscoe's (upright but with a summing circuit output with two non-stepped volume controls that can play at the same time. Fade in-and-out. Needs a headphone circuit to be able listen to the other turntable to cue it up.

But, speakers would be a start. A P.A. sub is nothing but a driver in a box. A. P.A. speaker could be nothing but drivers in a box if we use an electric crossover and bi/tri-amp the whole thing. Or, you could passive the whole thing and run on one amp.

Just an idea...

PostPosted: October 16th, 2018, 3:34 pm 

We have a year. Let's build some speakers.