DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: February 10th, 2018, 9:40 am 

First listening session with friends last night. Progress has been made with the new implementation of the DSP crossover.

Now to try the RoomEQ function with the new measurement suite.

One person said they miss the pizza box amp look! :)

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 3:51 pm 

Well found a maintenance item for the ribbons.

The connection blocks for two ribbons shrank with humidity change since it is very dry and they are wood. Screws were loose and not making good connection. Got out the philips head and give them a snug down and everything is fine.

Now to go back and do the other 6 so they are all ready for another season.

That was the last thing to figure out and it is done with the crossover.

Now to get the RoomEQ guys to look into a problem I see here with the new measurement data.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2018, 10:57 pm 

The RoomEQ measurements are done and The Megaliths are fully operational with the DSP crossover and room correction. Really enjoyed the first listening session with everything working. :D

PostPosted: April 29th, 2018, 6:03 pm 

Replacing of the original THHN 14 awg wiring harness for the servo subs with the Belden 1309A cable. A lot easier to work with and can make it a lot shorter not having to deal with the coils that never unwind. About 3/4 done with the first sub and then do the second one.

Once completed, found better sub locations to try from modeling in Room EQ Wizard. Will see if CARA CAD 2.2 gives similar results.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2018, 7:46 pm 

Got the new open baffle planar small version in and built the flat packs. Letting the glue dry on the second baffle and then install the planars tomorrow.

Then make measurements to tweak the original DSP crossover for the new planar baffle. Mod the time delay for the planar to sub offset distance and give them a listen.

Attachments:
#12.jpg
#12.jpg [ 348.9 KiB | Viewed 32206 times ]

PostPosted: September 1st, 2018, 11:08 pm 

HAL wrote:
Got the new open baffle planar small version in and built the flat packs. Letting the glue dry on the second baffle and then install the planars tomorrow.

Then make measurements to tweak the original DSP crossover for the new planar baffle. Mod the time delay for the planar to sub offset distance and give them a listen.

Are you going to stain them?

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2018, 9:10 am 

Going to get painted. Got some ideas.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2018, 9:24 am 

If the are mdf (looks like they are) you might want to consider dyed shellac. At the least use shellac to prime the mdf for painting. Shellac seals anything.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2018, 9:35 am 

They are made of Medex, so close to MDF.

Have a local automotive paint place that will do the finish I am thinking of. I am terrible with finishing.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2018, 12:48 pm 

HAL wrote:
They are made of Medex, so close to MDF.

Have a local automotive paint place that will do the finish I am thinking of. I am terrible with finishing.

That is what I did with the eggs. The finish is a PPG black metallic that is the same finish as my wife's Buick Verano. If you go with a body shop you should advice them that Medex or MDF is not like working with metal. No matter how many times I sanded the eggs, the surface although very smooth is not flat. The glue joints do not sand at the same rate as the wood. My last sanding was with 800 grit and even though the surface felt like glass you could feel the ripples at the glue joints. The guy who painted mine used what is know in the trade as icing. Surprisingly, the surface was so smooth he had to rough it up for the icing to stick. He then applied it to the entire outer surface and re-sanded. Here is a photo of the egg with icing.

Attachments:
Sees egg 2.jpg
Sees egg 2.jpg [ 425.41 KiB | Viewed 32178 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 40  Next