DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 11:15 am 

David McGown wrote:
I would like to add a couple more things.

First (a minor quibble), it the horn profile you are showing appears more like a 3 section approximation of an exponential horn (consisting of 3 conical sections).

Exactly.

Quote:
BTW, what are your horn dimensions?

This just my first shot to get the hands dirty. Horn model is based on John Inlow's 135Hz horn ( https://inlowsound.weebly.com/135-hz-mid-bass-horn.html ). He built it like a tank, I am trying to simplify it. Length is about 34" and mouth is about 17".

The frequency range of this horn does not meet my requirements for an all-horn system. I need to hi-pass the 500Hz CD at about 1kHz which means the midbass/midrange horn should to goes up to 2kHz. The plan is to split the 100Hz to 2kHz range into 2 horns, something like 80Hz-400Hz and 200Hz-2kHz.

Playing around with hornresp. It does a good job of modeling single section expo horn but the multisection horn modeling is essentially a trial and error method.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 11:34 am 

Shashi,

I can save you alot of trouble. I have a pair of straight midbass horns in storage, are designed and built to similar dimensions. I have been looking for someone to take them off my hands. They each have an EVM 12L driver already installed with a back chamber. I designed them for around 80 Hz cutoff. If you are interested in them, make me an offer. These are built out of 3/4" baltic plywood, painted a hideous orange color (that is easy to fix), and you can almost literally park you car on them.

David

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 11:41 am 

I also have a 400Hz midrange horn (using a JBL cone midrange driver) a Fostex horn tweeter, and stands. I had these setup in my system years ago, and have been lying around since the Basszillas came back in my system. You can have them as well if you are interested.

It was a really nice sounding horn system when I had it running, just took up more floor space than I wanted.

David

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 4:46 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
I question the need for 3/4 inch stock. This would be quite heavy and support will become an issue. Maybe 3/4 inch for the first section near the driver, then 1/2 inch for the rest.

You are right, 1/2" might work. I will go with it.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 4:46 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Shashi,

I can save you alot of trouble. I have a pair of straight midbass horns in storage, are designed and built to similar dimensions. I have been looking for someone to take them off my hands. They each have an EVM 12L driver already installed with a back chamber. I designed them for around 80 Hz cutoff. If you are interested in them, make me an offer. These are built out of 3/4" baltic plywood, painted a hideous orange color (that is easy to fix), and you can almost literally park you car on them.

David

I can take a look sometime?

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 4:47 pm 

DaveR wrote:
I know it wouldn't be DIY, except maybe the design, but I know a millwork shop that can make anything and it will look good and be solid.

Definitely a possibility. I will be in touch.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2018, 9:57 am 

Shashi,

Yes, you can take a look. Right now the horns are in a storage cubicle in Aspen Hill, near the intersection of Connecticut Ave and Georgia Ave around 4 miles north of Wheaton, MD. You were at my house once, a long time ago, it is about 2 miles from there. I am generally available in the evenings, except Wednesdays, and depending on my schedule, over the weekends. Let me know when you are interested in taking a look. I cannot guarantee that we will not have to dig them out, the cubicle is pretty packed.

David