DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tin wiskers
PostPosted: July 13th, 2018, 4:15 pm 

Although not whiskers, when working with boards with close land spacing especially if there is no solder mask, be careful of solder bridges. I have had those before and they are definitely a path to be avoided.

Post subject: Re: Tin wiskers
PostPosted: July 13th, 2018, 4:21 pm 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
tomp wrote:
One of the most important things when soldering is to have a good mechanical joint before applying solder. With few exceptions such as surface mount devices you should think of the solder as a conductive filler for good current flow and not a support mechanism. Also, if the surfaces are not clean your chances of getting a good joint are pretty much nil.

All true about cleaning surfaces prior to soldering, not using solder as mechanical support when possible.

To avoid using solder as a "support mechanism" AND to improve conductivity by NOT relying on solder to be the conductive path, wrap leads around turret posts, lugs, other component leads, etc. as tight as practical, and when on a lug/post, ensure there is adequate lead-to-lead contact; i. e. do not let the post be the mechanism that interconnects multiple flying leads. Ensure that the solder fills the gaps between leads, and does not merely bridge the gap.

Also, on PCBs, leads are usually much smaller than the hole. Push the component lead through the hole, then bend 90 degrees so that the lead lays flat against the PCB conductive surface, then bend 90 degrees again, so the lead is again perpendicular to the hole, but offset from it. This provides some component mechanical support and does not rely on solder to bridge the hole between the PCB and lead.

You smart guys already knew that though!

Thanks for the reminder about the eutectic solder! All I have left is 1/2 a bar of Cardas for use in the solder pot.

Stuart

I could not agree more! However, I cheat by not doing the wrapping should I change my mind later. De-soldering and removing parts that have been installed properly is a royal pain-in-the ass. If you don't expect going back then Stuart nailed it -- or should I say wrapped it. LOL!