DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 3:58 pm 

Here is an intersting article in the audiopress newsletter on a potential new format and the trend in distribution of music.

http://www.audioxpress.com/news/can-mus ... usic-cards

PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 4:46 pm 

And yet the microgroove long-play disc still lives on and remains supreme.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 6:38 pm 

A matter of personal opinion not shared by all.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 6:59 pm 

Tom:

Before condemning vinyl you really need get beyond a Shure MM cartridge in a Dual TT and possibly a phono stage that may be nothing more than an extra feature added to your DIY preamp. You don't have to spend the price a new car on vinyl playback, but there are reasonably affordable options out there that could change your mind about vinyl and why the medium has taken off once again. I've cut three records during my evil past and even knowing the complex electronic and mechanical process to get the music in those vinyl grooves it still to this day amazes me how it still can out perform digital. By out perform I mean reproduction that has the breathe of life. I have some LPs here old (ca. 1970s) and new (ca. 2016) that can put you there with a remarkable facsimile of a live event. Multi-track studio recordings are very cool as you can really get into the mix especially if the mixing desk was of noble credentials.

I've put a lot of time and effort into digital playback and have been rewarded for my efforts -- then there is vinyl. Grandpop still gets the job done.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 9:15 pm 

Apples and oranges
Both can be good and satisfying, or rotten.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 10:12 pm 

Paul hit it right on the head. I was not in any way condeming vinyl. I only said it was a personal opinion. As such, there can be no right or wrong. And as I have said many times before, any technology properly done gives great results. As far as the microgrove reigning supreme, that is an opinion just as high resolution digital reigning supreme is another opinion. It all boils down to whatever floats your boat.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 11:22 pm 

There is the digital vs. analog "debate," but when set up right, sometimes (not all the times) the LP surprises the hell out of you. You could be doing something else and the music-playback may not be on your mind and it still gets you. CD/SACD has never done that.

We haven't got the CD or the SACD to the level of the record player yet, tho the specs are impressive. Having said that, the needles are a ripoff. Denon 103, for example, was about $100, now $300 or $400. TT need not cost what they cost. Setting it up "perfectly" is a pain.

BTW, I like the sound of Reel to Reel over the CD/SACD. Sony's MBA's messed it up. Maybe music should not be left to the Japanese. I think its an American thing. America needs to go to work on this.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 11:27 pm 

Jay Bala wrote:
There is the digital vs. analog "debate," but when set up right, sometimes (not all the times) the LP surprises the hell out of you. You could be doing something else and the music-playback may not be on your mind and it still gets you. CD/SACD has never done that.

For you, perhaps it has for others.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2018, 8:31 am 

Eventhough I'm a big vinyl supporter I am constantly surprised on how good digital (even Red Book) can sound. With vinyl or digital, I think I is all in the mastering.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2018, 8:54 am 

I regularly read an automotive website dedicated to one brand of automobile. The discussions there go similar to those here, although frequently on a more honest, if uncomfortable level: delving into the depths of profanity with deft skill.

No discussions on this topic of the actual article in the link. Just the usual blather that is weary and tiresome. Who wants to post about a project, idea or thought process when this is the inevitable rabbit hole down which the conversation will proceed?

Not me. I've got projects going on with which I'm having issues that I'm sure you guys could help with, but I don't care to subject myself to ridicule.

Consider this, fix it if you wish. Simply put: if you don't like the subject, technology or format, if you have nothing informative or positive to include, STFU!

Now, I feel much better.

Tom, please tell me more about this new USB Music Card idea. How does this stop piracy? I like to be able to copy the music to a hard drive, or other storage format, to use it in multiple places: home, car, work, vacation, etc. How can I do that, yet still be prevented from giving away the artists' work to other people?

The very purpose of this seems to be to provide physical medium ownership. But will the artist/distributor now have a way to stop file sharing? To disable digital downloads? Where does that leave the music consumer who honestly purchases digital downloads, if the distribution of files in that manner stops? We'd have to wait on an Amazon delivery (admittedly very fast) or travel to a brick and mortar store and deal with humans (yuck!). LOL. We demand speed. Pay for it online now, have it in seconds.

Is this format sonically superior because it eliminates the optical drive used for retrieval?

Is music to be formatted in only one format, resolution, one level of compression, or none, etc.?

Seems to me, the little buggers would be very easy to lose or break. Inconvenient to use when working or on the move if some sort of download/copy prevention method is in use.

There are huge advantages to digitally stored music for use in our daily lives. We simply can't always sit and listen to records or reel-to-reel tapes. It would be a shame to lose some of that convenience.

The issue is file sharing, hence lost revenue. Is this the best way to achieve it? If the playback nets superior sound, would that make this an improvement over CD for audiophiles? I guess yes, but how about HD downloads? Probably just the same.

Stuart