DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 10th, 2018, 6:57 pm 

Growing up in India, ABBA was my fav childood group. I don’t understand why Americans never warmed up to ABBA, but the rest of the world went crazy about them.

Watching the movie MAMMA MIA brought back memories and emotions. It’s a wonderfully done musical based on ABBA songs. Available on Netflix.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2018, 5:13 am 

Cogito wrote:
Growing up in India, ABBA was my fav childood group. I don’t understand why Americans never warmed up to ABBA, but the rest of the world went crazy about them.

Watching the movie MAMMA MIA brought back memories and emotions. It’s a wonderfully done musical based on ABBA songs. Available on Netflix.

I hate musicals. Life is not a musical. There is no joyful singing in life.

However, I do like one or two of their songs.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2018, 5:40 am 

Musicals are not on top of my list now but sashi was talking "childhood".
When I as very young I have no memories of being particularly interested. In music.
It was not until I started build HiFi kits in my late teens did I started paying attention to music.
My choices were dictated by what promotional alliums my dada brought home from the record store he partnered in. Mostly Clasicaland big band

PostPosted: June 12th, 2018, 7:41 am 

My father was a classical music fan and in the early 50's (before stereo) had built a large corner bass reflex box in which he housed a 12" Wharfedale full range speaker. He drove it with a Leak TL10.

One day when I was about 6 I decided to play the trombone and got a plunger that my mother used when washing clothes. I put it over my shoulder and started to pump it back and forth and in the course of events, managed to poke it through the Wharfedale's cone. Fortunately my father was more amused than angry.

Before I became consumed by classical music when I was 17, I listened to pop music on the local radio and my favourite piece from back then was the Story of Bo Diddley by the Animals. I loved the story, the energy and the perfect timing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swPzNFxsghc

ray

PostPosted: June 12th, 2018, 9:16 am 

I find it interesting on how we became involved in this hobby. Which came first. Love of music or love of fidelity. One may depend on other, which way matters?
For me it was the love of taking things apart, much to the chagrin of my older sister and my parents.
Epiphany happened one day when I took a stereo phonograph apart and put the speakers in cardboard boxes and spread them apart I my bedroom. I was probably 12 percent 13 years old. Maybe it was hearing true stereo for the fist time and it happened to be a symphony.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2018, 12:24 pm 

mix4fix wrote:

Most of the movies do not reflect real life. How many Marvel comic characters do you know in real life?

Movies are for transporting us into a fantasy world, taking our mind of daily run for a couple of hours.

Almost all Indian movies are musicals, so I am accustomed to enjoying them.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2018, 3:41 pm 

Cogito wrote:
mix4fix wrote:

Most of the movies do not reflect real life. How many Marvel comic characters do you know in real life?

Movies are for transporting us into a fantasy world, taking our mind of daily run for a couple of hours.

Almost all Indian movies are musicals, so I am accustomed to enjoying them.

Everything gets made into a Broadway Musical. I hate that. Why ruin the original movie? Even one of my favorite movies "Mean Girls" is now a musical. There is no reason to do that.

"Grease" is an ok movie except for all the singing and dancing. Life is not singing. In fact, life is more like the evil in this world and good's battle to save it like in a superhero movie.

If you are going to dance in a movie, at least have it make sense to the plot like the breakdance battle in "Beat Street" or the Thriller dance at the corporate party in "13 Going On 30" or the Jingle Bell Rock dance in "Mean Girls".

Bollywood is the product of the devil because they are too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2JB-7XAMTo

PostPosted: June 12th, 2018, 4:26 pm 

its time to end this thread before it gets heated

PostPosted: June 12th, 2018, 6:16 pm 

He can watch or listen what he wants to; nobody is taking that away from him.

The original topic was ABBA. I like a few ABBA songs as much as the next person.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 11:31 am 

Too bad, this thread could have been fun. Comparing where we started, musically, and as Paul pointed out, which came first, the music or the electronics.

Not that anyone cares, but for me, the first music was, try not to laugh, lots of Motown, Steppenwolf (Magic Carpet Ride and Born to be Wild), and See You in September by The Happenings on BJ Puppy IIRC. Still have the 45s.

I know, you don't have to tell me.

Not sure my musical taste ever improved. Club members and friends alike have turned their collective noses at my choices, and love to point out other artists who are "better" guitarists, singers, whatever. Seems to be a big dick contest.

I always loved the electronics aspect. Wanted to be a DIYer before I understood it. 50+ years later, I still love it. Also still love Motown & Steppenwolf. The Happenings? What was I thinking?

Stuart

Go ahead and make fun! I would. :lol: :lol: