DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 11:14 am 

My Alpha was redone by Peter Ledermann 3 years ago, and it was great. The suspension gave out and Peter said it could not be repaired. My only other cartridge is a Shelter 901, which is a reasonably decent cartridge.
If I get to the point of seeing any promise which the Denon I will send it to Peter for his micro-line stylus and ruby cantalever

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 12:02 pm 

The basic motor of the Denon is excellent, basis for cartridges like the Swiss Blue Diamond.

Slagle does a lot of Denon retip experiements and I got to hear some of that stuff sounding real nice.

I had a very nice Shibata retip 103 but recently found it trashed on my tonearm and no idea how that happened. At least I think it was the shibata one. If I forget to mark 103 carts with a silver sharpie, it is easy to lose track. I have to look at the unmarked ones with a loupe and mark the ones I can identify. Maybe it was a $99 Hong Kong elliptical retip that got smoked, I hope.

In any case, you can modify the character of the 103 all over the map, but it will not be like that old Alpha Genesis with was a famously detailed and forward cartridge in the grand 80s MC style. Denons will always end up more laid back but the definition can be enhanced with sapphire and line contact or what have you.

Ask Slagle what he is finding. That guy is a tireless experimenter and has been focusing on 103s....even built field coil versions.

It could well be that a lighter tracking tip will work better with your arm, especially if the retipper can slide in slightly more complaint rubber.

I was just reading about a retipper who will do suspension work on Audio Karma. Maybe there's still hope on that front!

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 4:08 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
My Alpha was redone by Peter Ledermann 3 years ago, and it was great. The suspension gave out and Peter said it could not be repaired. My only other cartridge is a Shelter 901, which is a reasonably decent cartridge.
If I get to the point of seeing any promise which the Denon I will send it to Peter for his micro-line stylus and ruby cantalever

Peter won't be able to that for you because the cartridge is "locked" into the new body with epoxy. He would need to do a partial disassembly to replace the cantilever. Although he should not have a problem with only replacing the stylus.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 8:24 pm 

I had Andy Kim replace the cantilever and stylus of a Denon 103R that was epoxied in an aluminum body. As long as you do not have to touch the coil or suspension (which in a new cartridge should not be a problem), then there should not be a problem. Usually what is done is the aluminum cantilever is removed (cut) and, in my case, a sapphire cantilever with the new stylus is fitted and glued in place at the stub.

I am sure that Peter does the same thing if it is not a complete rebuild.

David

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 4:38 pm 

J-Rob
I added 4gr of weight to the head shell and it sounded like a completely different cartridge.
..........Yes Walt, I adjusted the counterweight to compensate. Tracking at 2.75gr..........
Everything is lush and rounded, and bass, wow more bass than I have ever had from and LP
Detail is still there but a bit recessed. I will try reducing the added weight.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 4:51 pm 

Add more...

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Adjust to taste ;)

Roscoe

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 5:09 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
J-Rob
I added 4gr of weight to the head shell and it sounded like a completely different cartridge.
..........Yes Walt, I adjusted the counterweight to compensate. Tracking at 2.75gr..........
Everything is lush and rounded, and bass, wow more bass than I have ever had from and LP
Detail is still there but a bit recessed. I will try reducing the added weight.

J-Rob was on target. The Denon like my Allnic needed mass to push against. Even at a tracking force of 2-3/4 grams the cartridge could easily have trouble tracking because of the low arm mass being easily "lifted."

My Allnic was giving me heart burn until I put on my engineering thinking cap. I added mass as a trial and that nailed it. Now with my Denon turntable having electronic damping my Allnic is "in love."

Pierre' Sprey actually sells special brass weights for that purpose.

BTW -- The recessed detail is a Denon failing in an effort to be musical.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 11:30 pm 

The Mapleshade (Pierre) tonearm antireasoanent system includes a 28gr headshell weight and a huge counterweight.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 11:36 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
The Mapleshade (Pierre) tonearm antireasoanent system includes a 28gr headshell weight and a huge counterweight.

His solution is a bit of over kill in that you have to keep the arm resonance above at least 5-Hz. (as I recall closer to 10-Hz. is the ideal) so the cartridge/arm rides the warps without sending nasty pulses through the system. Flopping woofers are not good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next