DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 9:35 pm 

Got an audio background back to the campus radio station in Columbia SC in the mid-70s ... bought some gear right out of college and had it until the early 2000s, when I won a pair of JBL 4320s on eBay and discovered horns. Ran down the JBL path for a few years, tried 4341 studio Monitors, sold them after a few years. That system evolved into a proaudio-based multimedia/Home Theater system. Wound up setting up a 2nd system upstairs with JBL L200 2 ways (Woofer and horn). Converted them to 3-ways with an external custom walnut smith horn and JBL superTweeters. Drifted into tubes somewhere around 2010. After 7 years I had a great offer and sold the JBL 3ways, and have been chasing the magic since then. Tried DCMs, Vandersteens, and now have 2 pairs of UREI 809 (concentrics) down in the TV/HT room. Got a killer deal on a pair of Von Schweikerts VR-4s for the upstairs. Then early December, some fella (Hiya Joe!!) offered me a pair of ALTEC Model 15s - ;) so now I'm trying to learn the ALTEC magic, and make them live again ... Big fun!
Happy holidays - and - enjoy the music!

OH, I'm in Fairfax (city) ...

Last edited by hjames on December 24th, 2017, 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 10:16 pm 

Welcome to the group, sounds lovely me you will fit right in being an avid builder and tweaker

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 11:21 pm 

Great Intro. Welcome to the group! Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, etc.
and Blessings,
Richard

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 12:39 pm 

Welcome to the forum. I'm in Annandale, right down the road from you. We're diametrically opposed in the directions we've gone in audio, but that makes is more fun. Right Shashi?

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 10:21 pm 

Hi Heather, and welcome. A LOT of Altec people in this club. Happy Holidays!

PostPosted: December 24th, 2017, 10:44 am 

hjames wrote:
Got an audio background back to the campus radio station in Columbia SC in the mid-70s ... bought some gear right out of college and had it until the early 2000s, when I won a pair of JBL 4320s on eBay and discovered horns. Ran down the JBL path for a few years, tried 4341 studio Monitors, sold them after a few years. That system evolved into a proaudio-based multimedia/Home Theater system. Wound up setting up a 2nd system upstairs with JBL L200 2 ways (Woofer and horn). Converted them to 3-ways with an external custom walnut smith horn and JBL superTweeters. Drifted into tubes somewhere around 2010. After 7 years I had a great offer and sold the JBL 3ways, and have been chasing the magic since then. Tried DCMs, Vandersteens, and now have 2 pairs of UREI 809 (concentrics) down in the TV/HT room. Got a killer deal on a pair of Von Schweikerts VR-4s for the upstairs. Then early December, some fella (Hiya Joe!!) offered me a pair of ALTEC Model 15s - so now I'm trying to learn the ALTEC magic, and make them live again ... Big fun!

Not just “some fella”, he is a knowledgeable and accomplished person in the field of audio, Joe Roberts.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=olFzozK9ric

PostPosted: December 24th, 2017, 10:49 am 

DaveR wrote:
We're diametrically opposed in the directions we've gone in audio, but that makes is more fun. Right Shashi?

You ain’t seen nothing yet in terms of differences, but some convergence tooo, I plan to add ribbon tweeter in 2018.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2017, 11:03 am 

C'mon now, I was just being playful - I thought it was clearly tongue-in-cheek when I said "some fella" :naughty:

Besides, I did my homework before I gave him my home address - :D
you never know who these internet people are when you tell them where you live ... :lol:
He's got a pretty huge arc online and has been really free sharing info with me and many others.
Its easy to get enthusiastic with his help! He's a heck of a nice guy and I certainly did NOT disparage him.

Cogito wrote:
hjames wrote:
... Then early December, some fella (Hiya Joe!!) offered me a pair of ALTEC Model 15s - so now I'm trying to learn the ALTEC magic, and make them live again ... Big fun! ;)

Not just “some fella”, he is a knowledgeable and accomplished person in the field of audio, Joe Roberts.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=olFzozK9ric

PostPosted: December 25th, 2017, 1:12 pm 

Quote:
Besides, I did my homework before I gave him my home address - :D

Don't worry, I cased the joint while I was there and you don't have anything I want! :twisted:

edit-- on second thought, those UREIs would look nice in my TV system...

PostPosted: December 27th, 2017, 1:17 pm 

Welcome! Plenty of tube/horn owners here. I still use 4320s!