DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 8:20 pm 

I am looking for 2 pairs for stereo tube amps with 10W or more output for experimentation in my system. I would need them for about 3 months. If you have spare amps which you wanna give away or loan me, let me know.

Currently, I am bi-amping. Going to test out tri-amping configuration first and then quad-amping. If I like the experiments, I plan to invest in OTL amps.

Last edited by Cogito on December 24th, 2017, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

I think we've created a monster :dance:

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 7:44 am 

It's the journey.........
I went through it too.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 10:03 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:
It's the journey.........

Absolutely!

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 4:44 pm 

Going the multi amp route and eliminating the passive crossovers will give you huge flexibility in voicing the final system.

Tom

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 5:50 pm 

tomp wrote:
Going the multi amp route and eliminating the passive crossovers will give you huge flexibility in voicing the final system.

Tom

Yes, my goal is not just voicing the system. Voicing typically implies working within the constraints of the existing audio gear and sqeezing the best sound out of them by tweaking the parts like caps, tubes, cables etc. etc. Voicing can and will make the system sound better but no where it should be. In the last few weeks, I learned a lot about my system, thanks to J-ROB and Roscoe who loaned me their gear and time.

I used to think Altec 500Hz Compression driver 802-D coupled with Altec 500Hz 511-B horn crossed over at 500Hz sounds good. When I connected the DriveRack PA2 active crossover (no, I don't like it but excellent tool for prototyping crossovers) and changed the crossover point to 600Hz, there was an immediate improvement in the mid-range. It got smoother. Same result with Emilar 500Hz horn. The lesson I learnt is, 500Hz compression driver does not do a good job at 500Hz. Googling, found several recommendations that CDs should be crossed over at atleast half an Octave over their min rated freq. Then came the Tractrix horn and it was a game changer IMO. Head and shoulders above exponential 511B. That is the genesis of the project I am currently considering.

If I am successful, I intend to stay with passive crossovers/filters but at the line level.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 7:05 pm 

Using passives at the line level will be a much easier and more satisfactory way to go than at the speaker level.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2017, 11:45 am 

Shashi,

I have two 10-W OTL tube amps you could try, and I may not need them for a couple of months. I may need to recall one or possibly both before the requested three month period. I think that you borrowed one of these before, so you are already familiar with it.

David

PostPosted: December 26th, 2017, 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

:character-oldtimer: Keep in mind that when multi-amping with compression drivers, the slightest amount of hum will destroy diaphragms with metal surrounds in short order....

Roscoe

PostPosted: December 26th, 2017, 1:43 pm 

Would a small capacitor in series with the driver help remove the low frequency hum? Have you ever tried that?