DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings from Manassas
PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 8:14 pm 

I was directed to this site by one of your members from whom I bought a couple of 1970s Pioneer Tuners earlier today. I'm in the process of putting together a couple of silver-face systems with HPM speakers and DUAL turntables. My background is physics, math, electrical engineering. Spent 20 years down South with a gov. subcontractor, 10 years as a mechanic and recently got remarried. Truthfully have been away from audio for too long and feel the need to refresh my skills and learn something new. I think this is the forum for advanced advice related to hands on as well as theory. I use the same moniker on AK but have found most of them to be long on opinion and advice but short on... welllllllll, most all else. I do well with schematics and have decent skills and basic stuff but there will come a point where I'll need to get real equipment. I'll start looking for O-scopes, freq., sweep and tone generators, etc. Anyway, I am looking forward to meeting y'all at Capital Audiofest in November.

Regarding current setups. nothing fancy. 7.1 home theatre in family room, Onkyo, Klipsch, Polk. Basement is in constant flux: HT is Onkyo, Polk and Pioneer HPM-40. Stereo is Technics SL-D2, Pioneer SX-580 and HPM-100s.

Have several DUAL 1219 turntables waiting their turn across the bench. A DUAL CS-606 turntable that needs a bit of cleaning but works well. Have a dozen cartridges and stylii to play roulette with. Plan is to build 3 good 1219s, I keep 2, one goes to one of kids, I hope. Haven't recapped the HPM-100s yet. Need to go through the SX-580 and 3 other decent 70s-era receivers, see what can be unleashed. Now I've got the TX-9500 and 9500ii tuners to go through as well as a Pioneer Amp, SA-7500ii. Oh, I have a few other pairs of speakers to keep me busy too. Polk Monitor Series 5, Pioneer CS-77s. Plan is to get some of the extra upgraded and pass it along, hopefully trading up along the way. I'd really like to get to a nice sounding tube system and call it day, but you know how this hobbyy is.

Maybe at some point in time I'll have something to contribute. With all that as an introduction, Greetings.

-Rick

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 10:42 pm 

Welcome Rick. You will find lots of folks with both measurement and practical listening experience in the group. And, you would be hard pressed to find a bunch more willing to help.

Tom

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 6:53 am 

Welcome! There is a lot of knowledge within this group and some great ears. As Tom said, the group is very willing to help out.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 7:11 am 

If you don't already know about Parts Express check out this link -

https://www.parts-express.com/

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 10:03 pm 

Welcome! Those sound like fun projects, Rick. You'll find some geniune expertise here, along with a lot of interest in just about anything anybody is working on, SS or Tube or whatever.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2017, 9:23 am 

Glad you found us, Rick. As I hinted during that parking lot tuner deal, we are long on opinion here as well. A diverse crowd, to be sure, fut fun and interesting.

As the name implies, we are promoters of the DIY approach, let me be the first to encourage you to look into building your own instead of meeting shady dudes in Asian supermarket parking lots to obtain gear! :lol:

Well, OK building an analog FM tuner is maybe not the easiest beginner project...

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2017, 9:47 am 

Certainly since Heathkit no longer make the AJ-15 (tuner section of the AR-15) which I made in 1969.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2017, 10:24 am 

My first was the Eico HFT-90 mono tuner with the traveling eye tuning tube.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2017, 3:48 pm 

I hadn't thought of the Heathkit amp. I built in high school. A friend's dad messed it up and gave it to me instead of paying for yard work. I took it to the local college and got help getting it right. A prof. Bought it from me for what I thought was good money.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2017, 4:38 pm 

Actually I made the AJ-15 (Tuner) and AA-15 (Amplifier) since the AR-15 (Receiver) was out of stock when I tried to order it. Then I went to Dixie Electronics (I was living in DC back then) and carried two Dynaco A-25 speakers back to my apartment on the bus (good old DC transit). Later I made several Dynaco (tube amplifiers and solid state preamp) kits.