DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 31st, 2017, 1:07 pm 

SoundMods wrote:
Well -- actually the output caps in the Threshold were polyester (mylar). The euro code was MKT. I looked at images on the WEB and the caps that I saw were the green Roderstein polyester caps with the MKT code. Roderstein polycarbonate caps have been typically color-coded red and their polypropylene caps have been color-coded blue.

Although mylars get the midrange right the treble can be strident and grainy. The only manufacturer producing equipment during that time, that I am aware of, that used polycarbonate coupling caps was John Curl designed Mark Levinson preamps.

Walt,
I think that Threshold changed the parts over time. I'll check when I'm home, but I think that the output caps in my preamp were 10uf ERO MKC, which I think are polycarb. I mistakenly said they were EPCOS caps in my PM - ignore that.
---Gary

PostPosted: May 31st, 2017, 1:41 pm 

Roderstein is ERO. ERO is one of many trademark icons Roderstein uses. Just keep in mind that MKT is polyester -- MKC is polycarbonate -- MKP is polypropylene -- and typically MKS is polystryrene (although WIMA has used MKS to denote polyester).

PostPosted: May 31st, 2017, 3:41 pm 

SoundMods wrote:
Well -- actually the output caps in the Threshold were polyester (mylar). The euro code was MKT. I looked at images on the WEB and the caps that I saw were the green Roderstein polyester caps with the MKT code. Roderstein polycarbonate caps have been typically color-coded red and their polypropylene caps have been color-coded blue.

Walt,
I think you're right - I remember the Threshold caps were green. So they probably were polyester, not polycarbonate.
---Gary

PostPosted: May 31st, 2017, 3:51 pm 

Before I knew those EURO codes I probably missed many opportunities at Ham Fests and even on line. OH WELL! That was then and this is now.