DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 18th, 2016, 8:15 am 

Looking at the Raspberry Pi 3, Windows 10 IoT and DIY Music Player software to go with the DIY AK4490EQ DAC.

Setup a PC Laptop with Windows 10 OS and the Windows Visual Studio 2015 development system and the RPi3 running the latest version of Windows 10 IoT. First program downloads over the web and runs correctly, so it is fully functional.

My nephews are both software development types and with the Foobar2000 SDK download will see if we can migrate it from Visual Studio 2010 to VS 2015 needed for the IoT capabilities.

The DAC supports both WASAPI and ASIO input from Windows 10, so might have to venture into a device driver as well. The RPi3 has a built in DAC, so a good way to test before trying with the USB DAC. Already supports external USB drives, so that will help.

I tried the Linux downloads, but was not happy with the sound on the RPi3, so decided to look at this as an alternative. I really want a front end running on the RPi3, not have to remote into the box like most other players. It even has a command line capability in IoT, just need to get it registered to use it.

Will see what happens.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2016, 8:38 am 

Which Linux do loads have you tried with the RsPi3
I have been trying to get mine to work, but all the ones I have tried have been for the 2 and not compatible with the 3

PostPosted: July 18th, 2016, 8:47 am 

Moode 2.6 and Roon on the RPi3.

Might just be the crappy 5VDC@2.5A SMPS as well.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2016, 9:08 am 

Thanks
Is there a forum that provides help
Yes one I get it working I plan to use a linear ps
And isolation on the dac

PostPosted: July 18th, 2016, 9:39 am 
Site Admin

I've had good luck with volumio (2.0 beta, not the 1.5 "stable" version) on the RPi3, but it requires a remote control like the the server I had at CAF. I don't have an Amanero board, but it should work natively...

If you want a UI on the pi, try raspian, there's a jriver port for raspian on the pi, but I haven't tried it yet.

Roscoe

PostPosted: July 18th, 2016, 11:40 am 

I use the Amanero as USB port on my TPA BuffaloSE
My problem is I have literally no working knowledge of Linux and how all the bits and pieces go together.
I got into this from the article that was published on ParttimeAudiophile last year, my mistake was when I finally got around to starting the project the RsP3 came out so I bought and the software had not caught up yet

PostPosted: July 18th, 2016, 12:15 pm 

See link. Kodi working on RPi3 -

http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/175 ... 2-released

PostPosted: July 18th, 2016, 12:53 pm 

Also when running linux for best audio output to alsa not pulseaudio. The kodi audio output has been improved. See -

http://kodi.wiki/view/AudioEngine

PostPosted: July 18th, 2016, 1:38 pm 

My problem with all the Linux based ones is the same as I just went through to try the JRiver MC21 version on Raspbian. Type everything as shown and get undecipherable errors. Still downloaded and seems to work, but will have to see since the Public Key would not load.

That is why I want to try Windows 10 IoT and build Foobar2000 for it. Easy interfaces and I understand the errors since I have been working with MS since DOS 1.0.

This might take awhile, so will see what happens mid August once I get with my family.