DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 8th, 2023, 12:38 pm 

Got a pair of the new Radian LM10n planar drivers to try out. It is a wideband driver with response from 150Hz to 20KHz with EQ and XO.

Putting them in the original Magnetar speaker baffles for testing. This should be interesting. :)

Now to get the prototype dspNexus 2x8 DSP XO setup for trials.

Attachments:
MagnetarII-small.jpg
MagnetarII-small.jpg [ 309.95 KiB | Viewed 43781 times ]

PostPosted: February 13th, 2023, 2:54 am 

I always wondered on the design of your "open baffle-boxes". What does onside open versus one side closed benefit sound wise?.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2023, 12:25 pm 

mix4fix wrote:
I always wondered on the design of your "open baffle-boxes". What does onside open versus one side closed benefit sound wise?.

The asymetrical wing baffle gives extended low frequencies from the length, but minimizes any horn effects from a symmetrical folded wing. Also makes the speaker much more narrow than a open flat baffle. This helps with imaging.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2023, 10:48 pm 

The Magnetar II planars are wired up and the Orchard Audio Starkrimson GaN Class D monoblocks are setup for testing.

Next is the DSP crossover for the dspNexus 2x8 for testing.

Attachments:
MagnetarII-Rear-small.jpg
MagnetarII-Rear-small.jpg [ 425.71 KiB | Viewed 43500 times ]

PostPosted: February 18th, 2023, 12:21 am 

How do you like those GaN amps...?

PostPosted: February 18th, 2023, 7:50 am 

I very much enjoy Leo's Starkrimson GaN Class D monoblocks. They sound very good with planar magnetics from my listening.

A big improvement on other Class D amps I have heard in the past.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2023, 1:53 pm 

Rich:

How does the Starkrimson behave when clipped? I have seen some of the new ultra low distortion amps create spikes and oscillations when clipped, unlike my traditional amps that come out cleanly. I think it is because they operate right on the edge to get those low distortion numbers. I'm including a measurement I made recently with the highly rated Topping LA90 amp.

Attachment:
Topping LA90 left channel 8 ohms at clipping.jpg
Topping LA90 left channel 8 ohms at clipping.jpg [ 94.47 KiB | Viewed 43463 times ]

PostPosted: February 18th, 2023, 5:05 pm 

Tom,
I have not tried to measure the clipping on the Starkrimson 150watt monoblocks. The AudioXpress article on the comparison of the BOSC (original name of the Starkrimson amp) to the PureFi did not include that as well, even though there is a PureFi sinewave picture, but none for the BOSC.

Not sure if my 8 Ohm, 220 watt dummy load is still around, but will look. Might be able to use CLIO Pocket for the measurement, just never tried it.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2023, 9:24 am 

Building up the servo subs to go with the LM10n planars and using Neutrik Speakon 4-pole connectors for the drive and servo sense coils. Needed a way to mount them, so talked to a friend that does CAD and 3D printing. We came up with this idea for a mount that lets you secure the wiring to the mount with a wire tie. I have the now and getting the mounting hardware for install and the 3mmx0.5-12mm hex head screw hardware arrived.

These will go in two 3x12 servo sub module stacks with the LM10n planars. With a 3x12 stack separately mounted behind the planar the top 12in woofer is coaxial to the planar. Then use delay to match up the wavefronts to the listening position.

If someone wants these for a project, just let me know and he will make more. I have 18 of them for my installs in black and blue, so other colors are possible like yellow, red, green etc from the filament catalog.

Attachments:
NeutrikMountConnectorInstalled-small.jpg
NeutrikMountConnectorInstalled-small.jpg [ 592.29 KiB | Viewed 43172 times ]

PostPosted: April 10th, 2023, 10:49 pm 

Starting tomorrow, testing of the Magnetar 2 speakers begins. Will be using the new powered measurement mic option of the dspNexus 2x8 prototype as the latest firmware update has the options for use included. Have a Behringer ECM8000 with calibration data files to try with Room EQ Wizard for the measurements.

The dspNexus 2x8 prototype is on the shelf waiting on balanced connections to the Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblock amps connected with 2ft of Analysis Plus Clear Oval 14 speaker cable. The monoblock sits on the end of the planar folded baffle. An Intel NUC i5 will be running AudioWeaver for dspNexus 2x8 programming.

New room treatments arrive on Wednesday to install.

Attachments:
Magnetar2&MagnetarSpeakers.jpg
Magnetar2&MagnetarSpeakers.jpg [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 42864 times ]