DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2021, 9:45 am 

tomp wrote:
The Solo is a single channel in. I have been using the Scarlett 2i2 which is two channel as an interface for my testing with ARTA for years and it works well. Have not used it for ripping vinyl because that is such a chore I would rather play the vinyl directly for the few times I need to.

Tom

Sorry, I was thinking of the 2i2, thanks for correcting me.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2021, 11:45 am 

David McGown wrote:
I should have gotten a Scarlett 2+2, there ARE two channels on the Solo, but one is balanced mic with (optional) 48V phantom, and the other is 1/4", no phantom. The 2+2 has both on each channel. I would have to figure out if there is a difference in gain between the two channels and have different cable termination. Probably easier to get a 2+2. Oh well....

David

Correct that there are two different types of inputs that will pass two channels through but with the differences in input parameters it is klugey at best. For the $50 difference, if you are buying new I would opt for the 2i2. I'm not sure of the internal circuitry but one reviewer made a point of two separate preamps in the 2i2. It would seem to me that if you are going to get true stereo out the Solo would have to have two paths. However, perhaps only one input jack has a preamp to provide additional gain and the two channels are then processed separately downstream. In any case, at the prices of either, the convenience becomes important..

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2021, 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

I've got a Tascam DA-3000 you're welcome to borrow... Gives you the option to record direct to 192/24 or DSD...

Roscoe

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2021, 1:37 pm 

Roscoe,

Not sure if that was directed at me, or someone else, but thanks for the offer. I admit this is down on my to-do list of audio projects, more of an intellectual exercise at this point. I am in the middle of a preamp build (waiting for parts from Mouser...should have gone with Digikey), and I am getting a new Chord Hugo M Scaler delivered today. That will probably sideline me for a while listening to what it does to 44/16 files, streaming and CDs (hopefully great things!).

If i become serious about ripping vinyl, I will probably get a second turntable and set it up down in my basement "studio" where I have a Windows computer to run specialized software (like VinylStudio as Grover suggests). I have a nice nearfield system setup there. But that won't happen until I retire and have more time to play around.

David

PostPosted: March 4th, 2021, 3:14 pm 

Since this thread has already gone a little (a lot) sideways, here's a video Paul McGowan and Michael Fremmer put out last week sort of discussing digitizing records.

The Ask Paul video
https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/does-vi ... istortion/

The follow up Fremmer video. See if you can count the number of sales plugs he makes.;-)
https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/mikey-f ... -ask-paul/

PostPosted: March 16th, 2021, 12:40 pm 

Another not so enthusiastic vote for the Pi4.

https://twitteringmachines.com/review-r ... -streamer/

Take home notes: the Pi4 can be useful especially when you factor in the super low cost but not terribly good sounding.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2021, 2:07 pm 

Interesting article. I think he is right about the limitation of the Pi4 as a streamer, there are ways to tweak it more than he does (power supply, USB isolator), also digital hats for S/PDIF instead of USB output. There are alot of respected digital streamers that use RPi's or other ARM based SBCs as their CPU. Both the BlueSound and Primare players are likely based on an ARM SBC like the Pi. Computing power is not the limitation, I presently use a 32-bit Intel Atom board in my Roon endpoint that is about the same computing power as a Pi4, which is far better sounding. I think the problem is that the Pi is a general purpose device that is not engineered to address power supply, timing, and noise issues that are important for quality digital playback. Unlike an open bus system like Intel, where it is possible to bypass the compute functions from the digital streaming I/O functions by use of bus mounted and separately powered interface cards (like from SoTM or JCAT), one is stuck with the interfaces on board the computer with the Pi, with the Pi4 being an improvement over the Pi3.

David

PostPosted: March 16th, 2021, 2:14 pm 

You are right in that he did not tweak the Pi4 to get it at it's best. I think the other thing is that digital sound has improved dramatically in the last two decades or so, basically the bar is pretty high now.

David McGown wrote:
Interesting article. I think he is right about the limitation of the Pi4 as a streamer, there are ways to tweak it more than he does (power supply, USB isolator), also digital hats for S/PDIF instead of USB output. There are alot of respected digital streamers that use RPi's or other ARM based SBCs as their CPU. Both the BlueSound and Primare players are likely based on an ARM SBC like the Pi. Computing power is not the limitation, I presently use a 32-bit Intel Atom board in my Roon endpoint that is about the same computing power as a Pi4, which is far better sounding. I think the problem is that the Pi is a general purpose device that is not engineered to address power supply, timing, and noise issues that are important for quality digital playback. Unlike an open bus system like Intel, where it is possible to bypass the compute functions from the digital streaming I/O functions by use of bus mounted and separately powered interface cards (like from SoTM or JCAT), one is stuck with the interfaces on board the computer with the Pi, with the Pi4 being an improvement over the Pi3.

David

PostPosted: March 16th, 2021, 2:17 pm 

I'm not so sure that's fair, Pete. The Pi4 isn't a high fidelity component, but it's perfectly acceptable for a secondary system. The streamer he compared it to cost 4X as much, and he didn't talk about how the Node sounds on it's own dac (like crap). Now, the Node gets high marks from me on it's digital output (though it's only s/pdif) as a dedicated streamer, but now you're talking about a 8X or more increase in price from a Pi4 and cheapie dac. Anybody who's looking for a $100 streamer isn't likely to pair it with a $500-$1k dac, or expect it to sound as good as a $1.5k-$2k streamer/dac combo.

He also never mentioned usb cables. As most who have experimented know the digital cable could be the most important cable in your system.

I think the Pi4 is a good cheap Roon endpoint that sounds fine in a non-audiophile system or headphone system if mated to a good usb cable and reasonably priced dac.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2021, 3:38 pm 

To add to Jim's comment, I think the RPi4 is also perfect for endpoints for remote systems through the house. Yes, in the main rig you want to have a nice endpoint, but for remote location using a cheap (but good quality) DAC into a small system, you cannot beat the utility and sound for the money. Why pay $500 per node (and in some cases still need a DAC) when you can get a cheap Pi and a Schitt Modi (or comparable $100-$200 DAC from Topping or others) into a little integrated amplifier and bookshelf/desktop speakers, and you can have a really nice and enjoyable setup.

David

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next