DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: February 24th, 2021, 5:10 pm 

I have DSP disabled. I believe that fully open with all features enabled, the Nucleus+ can pull about 90w.

Sound is improved overall. Both the streamer and my DAC are running off a Bryston Balanced power unit (on a dedicated line) so they should be getting pretty clean AC. Some of the improvement could be from removing the switching PS which might have been throwing noise back into my electrical mains? I would think my DAC would be so somewhat immune since it has an outboard PS that weighs about 25lbs but who knows?

David McGown wrote:
Pete,

I am surprised about how little power it draws, that is 7.6W. Of course, if you turned on DSP Upsampling the CPU will start working harder, but for a streamer you don't want that (and kind of defeats the purpose of a NOS DAC). I would say that it doesn't pull much more power than a Pi.

I think the power supply changes are usually subtle unless you have a really poor PS you are using. For instance, the el-cheapo 5V/3A DC LPS powering my JCAT USB card was significantly worse sounding compared to my SBooster 5V supply when I switched to it. It was not subtle. The cheapo supply was running really hot besides, I cannot think that powering an USB and Ethernet card would demand the power it seemed to be delivering. The SBooster is cool in comparison.

David

Attachments:
4844F72C-66CC-4CD3-A849-3F53A7F22A21.jpeg
4844F72C-66CC-4CD3-A849-3F53A7F22A21.jpeg [ 129.74 KiB | Viewed 5193 times ]

PostPosted: February 24th, 2021, 5:31 pm 

Nice tidy rack setup and great picture in black and white. Somehow, it always makes things look classy.

What is the arm on your Thorens (which looks great BTW)?

David

PostPosted: February 24th, 2021, 5:36 pm 

Thanks. I had to downsize the photo a lot for it to fit on this board which lost a lot of detail. Arm is an SME M2-9 with Denon 301 II cartridge.

David McGown wrote:
Nice tidy rack setup and great picture in black and white. Somehow, it always makes things look classy.

What is the arm on your Thorens (which looks great BTW)?

David

PostPosted: February 25th, 2021, 12:59 pm 

Hi, Guys,

Just because I don't respond, don't think that I'm not following these posts. I'm edging toward finishing my phono preamp (USPS lost my resistors) and need to get my turntable back in good tune. Then I'm heading toward a nice digital source.

Please keep us informed on your stati! :clap:

PostPosted: February 25th, 2021, 1:54 pm 

Guy,

Bummer about USPS losing resistors. I had to wait close to 1 month for a Priority Mail package containing parts for a Pass ACA from Providence, R.I. to Silver Spring, MD. It was stuck in the post Holiday backlog. Maybe they will still show up, you never know.

Once you get your phono setup going and focused on digital, you will need to talk with Pete, Charlie Phelps, myself and a few others on the path forward. A lot of the conversations have occurred off this board. Charlie has been leading the effort on making digital sound better than analog, he has build a number of different DIY PC based servers and renderers and is doing a survey of higher-end DACs (not DIY but $$$). This can get into a rabbit hole of tweeks from power supplies, low jitter USB cards and Ethernet cards, multiple computers, etc. From a DIY perspective, you can do quite a bit with a tweeked-up Raspberry Pi into a decent DAC, and may be very happy with the results. Not sure if it practical to build a DAC these days, ends up costing more building an inexpensive DAC from boards or parts than buying an finished unit with a higher performing DAC and USB input.

David

PostPosted: March 1st, 2021, 4:08 pm 

Thanks, David,

I hope everyone at your house is in good shape (even the cat!)

I'll make sure to check in with Charlie and you when I start to delve into the digital word. I'll get a nice network storage drive (maybe 4 bays?) and start with probably one big drive. I want to experiment with dubbing vinyl to hi-res digital files once my path is working again. I'll probably need an editing application to get rid of pops and such. :dance:

PostPosted: March 1st, 2021, 5:08 pm 

Guy,

One thing I haven't even attempted is dubbing vinyl to hi-res digital. That is a lot of work, need a decent A/D (basically an audio interface like one would use for audio recording or a really good soundcard), software for de-clicking and separating tracks (Audacity), tagging. etc. I guess where it makes sense is if you have treasured recordings that have never been digitally remastered, but ripping vinyl instead of CD is a Realtime process, plus all the post production work. CDs are easy to rip, but I have stacks of them I still need to do but need manual tagging due to the fact they are not in a database like MusicBrainz, etc. I admit I never really got into cassette or reel-to-reel dubbing of my records back in the day...rather listen to the vinyl.

David

PostPosted: March 1st, 2021, 5:14 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Guy,

Charlie has been leading the effort on making digital sound better than analog, he has build a number of different DIY PC based servers and renderers and is doing a survey of higher-end DACs (not DIY but $$$).
David

Perhaps we could start another thread on this topic. I would be interested in the DIY PC based servers.

ray

PostPosted: March 1st, 2021, 6:45 pm 

Ray,

Great idea. I can start it, but keep in mind that the person who got me started down the pathway I am on now is Charlie Phelps, and it has been under his guidance and suggestions that I have been working on my system. I can relate what I have done, and the reason for it.

David

PostPosted: March 1st, 2021, 7:05 pm 

I will just post this just incase.

The new Rock Pi X SBC from Seeedstudio is a Intel Atom based machine with 4GB of RAM and 32GB eMMC for OS. Have one here loaded with Windows 10 Home 64Bit OS and running well. Has more CPU capability than the RPi4 and does not have USB audio problems that I was having with the RPi4 running Raspbian Buster. They are $75 from Seeedstudio with out case, heatsink or power supply. You supply the OS. Linux will run, but I am not a Linux guy. It runs at 1.4GHz CPU clock without the heatsink.

Works well with any USB2 audio DAC I have tried, so very happy with it. Enough space for Foobar2000, REW, MathAudio RoomEQ to load and run. Should work with Roon as well if it will load in limited disc space.

They have other versions with more eMMC space, but the price goes up from $75 for 32GB to $119 for 64GB.

I am working on an I2S Bus interface to the Intel Atom SOC GPIO port for my setup. The Hantek DSO and old Audio Alchemy style connector and cable should work well. No USB2 Audio interface needed. Direct CPU to DAC connection via I2S Bus and I2C Bus.

Just a thought.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20  Next