DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Do you exercise?
PostPosted: December 4th, 2020, 4:22 pm 

Starting an exercise routine is one thing, but keeping it going is another. I tried weights, but that didn't last long. What did work for me and still does is biking. Knees still good after more than 370k miles. The baseline was set with biking for commuting to work for my entire career. Add to that biking tours with friends and a few competitive events including a couple of Paris Breast Paris events.

As I have gotten older, I find that I have to do an exercise routine that includes stretching, push-ups, and sit-ups to head off shoulder and back issues. I really hate doing these every day, but the alternatives are worse.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2020, 4:54 pm 

I've lost a little over 30 pounds this year by interval running and moderate weight exercises. I have a 2.75 mile loop that's hilly with a half mile steady uphill climb. It's a gradual climb, but the rest of the hills are not. I'm not a die hard runner, in fact I really suck at it, so with the colder weather it's more treadmill these days. I've found I hit plateaus where the weight stops coming off. I have to stop drinking, alcohol provides lots of empty calories, to get the weight loss moving again. Hopefully sometime next year I can enter and hopefully stay in maintenance mode. I've demonstrated to myself that I can maintain fairly easily, it's the loosing that's hard.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2020, 5:06 pm 

Before my health problems and the pandemic, I would do a long solo trip each year. I found that I lost weight each trip, possibly 10 pounds or more, because I ate and snacked less. Occasionally I would miss a meal.

When I was working years ago, I skipped lunch.

On a separate note, my boxes arrived in Sydney and have cleared customs and quarantine. I may get them next week. I think I am going to build a Pass F6 first, followed by an SV811-10 SE. I have the F6 parts in a plastic box and plenty of heatsinks.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-la ... guide.html

Gentlemen, unleash your soldering irons.

ray

PostPosted: December 4th, 2020, 8:41 pm 

Exercise or not? Basically you can wear out or rust out, I prefer to wear out rather than rust out. You just have to find a workout that you enjoy enough to keep doing it. Been an avid mountain biker (1-3x per week for the last 30 years) and gym rat for longer than that. COVID has made going to the gym unsafe in my opinion so have had to assemble some kit at home which is less than ideal but better than nothing.

My Fat bike is ready for winter snow riding...

Attachments:
EEECB2E4-B501-425C-B723-9B53D48B81E3.jpeg
EEECB2E4-B501-425C-B723-9B53D48B81E3.jpeg [ 394.75 KiB | Viewed 3363 times ]

PostPosted: December 4th, 2020, 8:52 pm 

DaveR wrote:
I've lost a little over 30 pounds this year by interval running and moderate weight exercises. I have a 2.75 mile loop that's hilly with a half mile steady uphill climb. It's a gradual climb, but the rest of the hills are not. I'm not a die hard runner, in fact I really suck at it, so with the colder weather it's more treadmill these days. I've found I hit plateaus where the weight stops coming off. I have to stop drinking, alcohol provides lots of empty calories, to get the weight loss moving again. Hopefully sometime next year I can enter and hopefully stay in maintenance mode. I've demonstrated to myself that I can maintain fairly easily, it's the loosing that's hard.

FIFW, I never thought you were over weight.