DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you exercise?
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2020, 9:01 pm 

Normally, my only physical activity is going to work. Since COVID-19 even that stopped.

Thanks to the new hobby, I am realizing how pathetic my physical condition is. Started working out.

Audio hobby is dangerous to health, if one is retired and has no workout regiment.

Post subject: Re: Do you exercise?
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2020, 9:29 pm 

I still go to the gym at least four times a week.
I feel completely safe. There is never more than four or five people there and we keep way apart. I am only ther for 30 minutes and talk to no one.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2020, 9:32 pm 

My daily 40 minutes on the treadmill ceased when I found out my right knee has arthritis, bone spurs, and no cartilage. Hopefully I'll be getting a replacement sometime in the spring.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2020, 9:34 pm 

The best advice I received 11 years ago was to not become a couch potato when I retired. I decided I needed a goal and decided to do the walk across the Grand Canyon. I practised by doing a three-mile walk around our community. It worked very well and I did the Canyon walk which you can read about here.

http://ratbagp.blogspot.com/2012/05/grand-canyon-north-rim-to-cottonwood.html

What I discovered was that exercise does not make you walk or climb faster but it allows you to recover more quickly. The walk itself is magnificent.

A year later I did the Wainwright walk across England which is much tougher than the GC.
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com/2013/05/day-1-st-bees-to-ennerdale-bridge.html

Now I walk on the sand every afternoon. If the tide is out I do a three-mile walk and about 1.5 miles if the tide is in.

Going for a long walk is a great way to think about things and reinvigorate your brain.

ray

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2020, 9:59 pm 

ratbagp wrote:
The best advice I received 11 years ago was to not become a couch potato when I retired. I decided I needed a goal and decided to do the walk across the Grand Canyon. I practised by doing a three-mile walk around our community. It worked very well and I did the Canyon walk which you can read about here.

What I discovered was that exercise does not make you walk or climb faster but it allows you to recover more quickly. The walk itself is magnificent.

A year later I did the Wainwright walk across England which is much tougher than the GC.

Now I walk on the sand every afternoon. If the tide is out I do a three-mile walk and about 1.5 miles if the tide is in.

Going for a long walk is a great way to think about things and reinvigorate your brain.

Amen to that.

ray

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2020, 10:15 pm 

ratbagp wrote:

ray

I'm envious of the Grand Canyon hike, sort of. I've been to the GC several times. The rule of thumb is you should allow twice as long to climb out as it does to go in. I believe it. I could believe you should allow even more time. Also, I have several shots of the bridge across the river taken from the South Rim.

While I don't think most things people say are awesome actually are, the Grand Canyon is absolutely awesome. And these days, overcrowded.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2020, 11:00 pm 

I put on over 100 lbs since I left active duty. Have managed to drop about 40 so far. As we get older, weight loss is more about reducing calories consumed than exercise. But aerobic exercise is the gold standard cure for a sedentary lifestyle. Interval training will do wonders for your stamina. However, if you have bad knees, I recommend a stationary bike or a rowing machine (but only if you know how to properly use one, which 99% of people don't). Ellipticals are lower impact, but you still put your full weight on each knee and hip. Rowing and biking are much kinder on the joints. Still, indoor exercise gets incredibly boring.
V/R
James

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2020, 11:15 pm 

Going down most mountains is much harder on your legs than going up. Even if you only visit a rim, go down into the canyon a few hundred yards and then come back up. Most people do not attempt this. Park Rangers are stationed a mile or so down the path who advise ill-prepared hikers to turn around.

To avoid the crowds at the GC, get there late in the day and stay overnight. Early the next morning the rim is virtually empty. My wife, like some other people, suffered from altitude sickness. If you are over 62, get the National Parks Seniors Pass which lets you bypass the huge queue of cars waiting to get into the park.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

The best part of the walk is at the bottom where you sit by the river. If I might include this sentence from the blog.

Late in the day, we all wandered down to the bank of the river. Nirmal and I stayed longer than the others, watching the river flow by. He remarked that this was his favourite part of the trip so far, just watching this river. 'This river doesn't have to prove anything', he said.

ray

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2020, 11:58 pm 

Covid-19 stopped my job which gave me daily exercise, now I do 2 45 minute stints on a stationary bike and push ups, and arm and shoulders 5 days a week.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2020, 6:29 am 

When Amy and I were at the Grand Cayon a few years ago we hiked down one of the trails about half way to a rest shelter and water station. While ther a couple of youngsters ran up and stopped. They were finishing up a rim to rim jog. They told us they live in the area and do the jog a few times a year.