DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More snake oil
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2020, 11:24 pm 

This item caught my attention. I never thought that a bunt-cake pan could be used to fabricate audio crap that is listed for $399. WTF?!! :crazy:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa6 ... f-3-tweaks

Post subject: Re: More snake oil
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2020, 8:18 am 

Funny stuff.
It only weighs 1 lb. how is it going to absorbe anything.
You could put a bunch on the walls for diffusion.
What about this:
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa48ff-synergistic-research-xot-carbon-crossover-transducer-very-effective-big-improvement-tweaks
Could this be just you 350 to 450 ohm dampening resistor

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2020, 8:23 am 

What a joke! Audiophiles go about their lives as status-symbol condescending shits whenever talking about their hobby to non-audiophiles. [Listen to them ramble on about brand names, etc. at an audio show] They act as though they are smarter than the average bear.

But when they buy into this bullshit, they show that in their minds mysticism beats logic.

I am so happy to be a DIY'er; the only bragging I can do is that I made it myself, for better or worse.

AND, even though it had to be shown to me that power cords and digital interconnects made a difference, I'm sure there is a scientific reason why (read many possible explanations). But I refuse to buy into the notion of $125 carbon fiber wallplates and $150 cryo-treated duplex receptacles.

Kind of reminds me of a line from Apocalypse Now: Man, the bullshit piled up so high in Viet Nam, you needed wings to stay above it.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2020, 9:25 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:
Funny stuff.
It only weighs 1 lb. how is it going to absorbe anything.
You could put a bunch on the walls for diffusion.
What about this:
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa48ff-synergistic-research-xot-carbon-crossover-transducer-very-effective-big-improvement-tweaks
Could this be just you 350 to 450 ohm dampening resistor

OY VEY!!! At $449 per pair they just may be the greatest thing since sliced bread. NOT!!

Matthew Polk had an add-on that was a high frequency R/C snubber to help their COBRA cable behave with certain amplifiers.

There are others as well with "secret sauce" add-ons that are nothing more than simple resistors or resistor/capacitors -- or inductors, and there can be an improvement.

Just like the Borbly Quantum Purifier -- I inherited a pair that I played with. At some point I decided to crack one open to see how it screwed with the sound.

Quantum Physics? No way. It had a band-pass filter using a tiny tantalum electrolytic capacitor. WTF?!!

They did more harm than good -- the reproduction was different only from straight interconnects.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2020, 9:16 am 

Well, $399 gets you 3 of them, one only costs $150. Probably worth it, no one wants bad energy in their audio room.

SoundMods wrote:
This item caught my attention. I never thought that a bunt-cake pan could be used to fabricate audio crap that is listed for $399. WTF?!! :crazy:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa6 ... f-3-tweaks