DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 11:12 am 

Shashi, that video doesn't explain anything at all. If you do you're own "due diligence," you'll find that Peru's lockdown didn't work for a variety of reasons.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-53150808

The video also completely ignores the many countries where lockdowns HAVE worked to control the spread of the virus and drastically reduce the fatality rate. Comparing only Brazil and Peru is meaningless--really.

And yeah 67,000 people died of the flu in 1997. It's likely we'll have four times that number of deaths from Covid-19 alone in 2020.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 11:25 am 

Cogito wrote:
Take a look at COVID-19 weekly deaths put out by CDC. Look at column 2. Don’t you say, the tread is good news?

Attachment:
B267BDFC-5FEC-4906-956D-FF2026AFA999.png

Yes, that's good thing. But we are now in a state of literally uncontrolled spread of the virus in this country. No doubt with a better handle on treatment the fatality rate will be lower than it was, but the risk is still very high for someone in my age group. I'll keep wearing a mask and avoiding crowds, thanks.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 11:34 am 

Grover Gardner wrote:

But we are now in a state of literally uncontrolled spread of the virus in this country.

Again, if you look at the 2min video, it explains why the more cases are detected in sun-belt stated. The point of that video is, Virus doesn’t recognize national borders. It reacts to weather patterns. Northern states are snow-belt states and southern states are sunbelt states, hence the viruses manifest themselves differently.

I would raise an alarm I’d the we see a significant uptrend in northern states, including Oregan.

I am not suggesting anyone to abandon CDC guidelines. Don’t just get panicked at this time.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 11:38 am 

For all of you that want to continue the discussion on the virus, could you please take it off line with PMs?

PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 11:48 am 

Cogito wrote:
Grover Gardner wrote:

But we are now in a state of literally uncontrolled spread of the virus in this country.

Again, if you look at the 2min video, it explains why the more cases are detected in sun-belt stated. The point of that video is, Virus doesn’t recognize national borders. It reacts to weather patterns. Northern states are snow-belt states and southern states are sunbelt states, hence the viruses manifest themselves differently.

I would raise an alarm I’d the we see a significant uptrend in northern states, including Oregan.

I am not suggesting anyone to abandon CDC guidelines. Don’t just get panicked at this time.

Shashi, we ARE seeing a significant uptrend of cases in Oregon. We were doing good when we, as well as the states to the north and south of us, were on lockdown. Now we're not. In Jackson County we held steady at under 50 cases for six weeks. In the past two weeks we've more than doubled that. Other northern states are also seeing significant upticks as they open up. I'm not panicking. It's simple common sense that Oregon, at least, has not seen the worst of the virus yet.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 9:44 pm 

Grover,

Take a look at the latest COVID-19 data released today but CDC. Only 157 deaths nationwide last week.

Attachments:
ED97A21C-961B-4B8E-B964-BDC5CD307992.png
ED97A21C-961B-4B8E-B964-BDC5CD307992.png [ 457.65 KiB | Viewed 6727 times ]

Post subject: COVID-19
PostPosted: June 30th, 2020, 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

Moving discussion here....

Post subject: Re: COVID-19
PostPosted: July 1st, 2020, 5:52 am 

I am happy that the death rate is going down. I do not want to get sick.
I we are just beginning to see rise in infections.
All those people in the south and west will travel elsewhere
It also is time for all those protesters to start showing symptoms

PostPosted: July 1st, 2020, 10:11 am 

Shashi,

Deaths are a lagging indicator by two weeks or more. We have not seen the death rate associated with the current level of outbreak yet in those states most impacted.

It doesn't matter if more people end up surviving, if they end up taking up space in the emergency room, then it denies availability and services to those with other life threatening conditions. The whole masking and stay-at-home recommendations are intended to prevent the overload of health services by slowing transmission in the population. It also helps protect the most vulnerable among use from exposure to the virus. It does not do the country any favors to lose vital health workers due to COVID-19 or burn-out, or institute triage to let people die. What happens if I have a heart attack or other health emergency and the emergency rooms are full? We may be over the crisis locally, but no reason why it cannot come back if we loosen up too much.

The fact that this can be passed along by asymptomatic carriers makes this virus insidious. A temperature check is just a rough screening for symptomatic carriers. It means nothing for the asymptomatic in lieu of actual on-the-spot and reliable testing, and even then, there is good percentage false negatives.

If you rely on statistics from states like Florida, who have been manipulating their data to make it appear they are in better shape than they actually are to justify their failed decision to reopen, then maybe the CDC statistics are not so rosy.

People need to stop making this a political issue and think both the immediate and long term health consequence to OTHERS in addition to their own personal risk, which increases significantly as one is older (I will be 65 in October). Do you (metaphorically speaking) KNOW you do not have the virus, or just think you don't have it because you have no symptoms? Can you be sure when you venture out socially among the community.

I am firmly not going anywhere except as necessary for essentials in order to minimize my personal risk. I admit I am very fortunate to have the liberty to do this, in that I am working full time remotely at home, and therefore has not forced me into making the difficult decisions about risking my health showing up physically at work, at a potentially hazardous or high exposure environment just to have income to survive. It is difficult for me to imagine what people like that are going through in their minds, and all I can do is be sympathetic to the decisions they have to make. I know that opening up means those out of work or underemployed will have a chance to work again. But they do so at risk to themselves and others. It is horrible to have to put one's life at risk for a paycheck at a job that is in normal circumstances is relatively risk free. Those like me, basically force those decisions to happen. Online shopping (lifeline for both essential and non-essential products not available with store closures), employs people deemed "essential" in the distribution chain, working long hours, under high stress, and exposure to others who may be ill. I am both increasing their risk, as well as employing them so they can live. It is an ethical dilemma. For the economy to improve, I have to spend, but in doing so, I am both helping and hurting people.

Sorry, this has gotten to be overly long and philosophical, but in short, why take risks when it is not necessary?

David

PostPosted: July 1st, 2020, 12:25 pm 

Do not call them protestors. They lost that right/Right years ago (morally/Constitutionally).

Protestors don't riot, shoot, loot, attack, murder, burn, destroy, vandalize, and whatever else they have done.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next