DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 9th, 2020, 5:52 pm 

Reading the March issue of hi-fi+ magazine which is supposedly one of the better audio rags, there is this article about a grounding device for your system. The mag has not published the article yet on the web but here is an earlier one about the previous version.

https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/gutwire-perfect-ground-grounding-cable/

The new much-improved cable is now 1300 British pounds and the reviewer loved it and said the differences were dramatic.

the company website is
http://gutwire.com/?page_id=1508

to me, it looks like this device is simply taking signal ground and connecting it to the mains ground. Looks like it could cause all kinds of problems.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2020, 7:10 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
Reading the March issue of hi-fi+ magazine which is supposedly one of the better audio rags, there is this article about a grounding device for your system. The mag has not published the article yet on the web but here is an earlier one about the previous version.

https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/gutwire-perfect-ground-grounding-cable/

The new much-improved cable is now 1300 British pounds and the reviewer loved it and said the differences were dramatic.

the company website is
http://gutwire.com/?page_id=1508

to me, it looks like this device is simply taking signal ground and connecting it to the mains ground. Looks like it could cause all kinds of problems.

If you build it -- they will come. I've come to the conclusion I am in the wrong business. To add insult to injury -- that company probably has sold a boat load of those gizmos.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2020, 8:17 am 

Design Philosophy of that company:

Quote:
We firmly believe in the superior sound of cold-welding (a.k.a. crimping) in the termination process. During our research process, 10 out of 10 times, we found our listening panel voting unanimously toward cold-welding terminated cables. Cables that are terminated with cold welding offer the following benefits: well-defined soundstage, maximum dynamics, real-life midrange and amazing 3D imaging…just to name a few.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2020, 8:51 am 

I can see that cold welding might be better, but 1399 pounds sterling to ground the signal ground to mains ground and claim vast improvements is a bit much.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2020, 8:53 am 

Well made crimp connections are generally considered to be better than solder. I don't think crimp connections make angels sing.

The whole concept and their write up on their web site is pretty funny.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2020, 9:31 am 

You realize how much better crimp connections are when you work with 500 MCM wire carrying 400 amps. Even the slightest resistance results in a very hot connection. Soldering just will not do. Soldering basically takes a lower current connection that has been properly made mechanically and seals it from the environment. It should never be a substitute for a good mechanical connection.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2020, 10:41 am 

The old Heathkit manuals use to make a big deal about first making a good mechanical connection then solder. the only problem was taking it apart to fix a mistake when the kit did not fire up. You soon learn to be careful and not make mistakes in the wiring.

One of the things that have always bothered me was with through-hole PCBs there is no mechanical connection, just solder holding the component in and making the connection

PostPosted: June 10th, 2020, 10:55 am 

Soldered connections are just as good if there is a physical contact between the bare wire and the endpoint., and the solder is there just as fastening agent.

OTOH, if the bare wire is floating in solder, you might want to get platinum solder. :-)

PostPosted: June 10th, 2020, 8:28 pm 

I prefer eutectic silver solder with rosin core for pc board joints with the leads contacting the traces. Never had a bad joint or corrosion vs time. Platinum is not a very good conductor.

Nothing wrong with a good cold weld or crimp connection.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2020, 10:06 pm 

tomp wrote:
You realize how much better crimp connections are when you work with 500 MCM wire carrying 400 amps. Even the slightest resistance results in a very hot connection. Soldering just will not do. Soldering basically takes a lower current connection that has been properly made mechanically and seals it from the environment. It should never be a substitute for a good mechanical connection.

You keep yacking about 500 MCM wire. Who in the hell among the many DIYs are going to hook up their systems with one-inch diameter cable? :crazy: