DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 11th, 2020, 12:21 pm 

Face masks are in great demand and essentially the lead time for stocks was (and is) anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks.

Some of you have probably made your own. If you are looking for self-protection then think again. Here are the numbers:

1 micron = .00004 inch

Diameter of hair = about 75 microns

Red blood cell = about 5 microns

Dust particles = about 2 to 10 microns

Bacteria = about .2 to 3 microns

CORONA-19 = The average diameter of the virus particle is around .12 microns. The diameter of the envelope is .08 μm and the spikes are about .02 microns long.

The medical grade N95 face mask is rated to block at least 95 percent of very small (0.3 micron) test particles.

Masks typically used in dental settings collected particles with significantly lower efficiency than those typically used in hospital settings. All subjects failed the unassisted qualitative fit test on the first exercise (normal breathing).
Eighteen subjects failed the assisted qualitative fit tests; 60% failed on the first exercise. Quantitative fit factors ranged from 2.5 microns to 9.6 microns.

To add insult to injury a 2008 study funded by the Netherlands Ministry of Health, Welfare, and Sports found that a homemade mask, in this case made from a tea towel, was about half as effective as a surgical mask in protecting the wearer from particles in the outside environment.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2020, 3:59 pm 

The latest thought is not to wear a mask to filter our sub micron viruses from others reaching you, but to prevent your viruses if you have covid from being broadcast by a sneeze or cough to others. If everyone did this to help prevent generation of aerosol viruses the rates of infections would go down. Also remember that although N95 masks will help minimize the mouth and nose paths for the virus to enter your body, another favorite path of entrance is your eyes. If you really want to increase your personal security you need a PAPR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_a ... respirator

PostPosted: April 11th, 2020, 6:57 pm 

I am not to cool not to wear a homemade mask.
If for no other reason to make strangers around me to be more comfortable.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2020, 8:01 pm 

Interestingly, my wife walked into the supermarket yesterday and everybody was wearing masks. I walked into the Lowes next door and as far as I could see I was the only one wearing a mask. A different clientele. I was only in there for a couple of minutes and I made sure I steered clear of everybody else. It is actually more crowded when I walk through the nearby state park to the lighthouse where it's tough to get a parking spot on a nice day.

ray

PostPosted: April 12th, 2020, 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

I don't need a mask. I simply stopped showering and changing my clothes. Now, nobody wants to be w/in 6' of me anyway :lol:

PostPosted: April 12th, 2020, 3:27 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
I don't need a mask. I simply stopped showering and changing my clothes. Now, nobody wants to be w/in 6' of me anyway :lol:

The man with a plan!! :lol:

PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 4:39 pm 

I went to the grocery store wearing a P100 respirator. Got a few looks but it is better than a N/P95 and I have em so why not?

PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 7:31 pm 

TubeDriver wrote:
I went to the grocery store wearing a P100 respirator. Got a few looks but it is better than a N/P95 and I have em so why not?

You probably will not pass on anything to make someone else sick if you wear it, but P100 respirators only filter down to .3 micron. COVID-19 is about .12 micron.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 8:40 pm 

P100 respirator protects against infectious transmission by droplets which are thought to be the main cause of transmission. If aerosolized than you basically need oxygen. I'll take my P100 and 1x/month visit to the grocery store over folks DIY masks any day.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 8:52 pm 

If there is one good outcome from all of this, it will be the advances that are made in combatting future viruses and other nasties such as the flu and smoke etc. Here is an interesting development using sugar cane.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/queensland-researchers-hit-sweet-spot-with-new-mask-material-20200414-p54jr2.html

I wonder if will good for loudspeaker cones.

ray