DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Desktop Stereo
PostPosted: April 6th, 2020, 9:02 pm 

That's brilliant. ;-)

PostPosted: April 6th, 2020, 9:23 pm 

tomp wrote:
Here are three pictures. One is the receiver in a wood case I made for it with the selector switch in a box next to it. Another is one of the Polk bookshelf speakers. The third is the box I made containing the battery and relay with the charger resting on top. The banana jacks are for the charger input. The blue cable connects the 12V power to the receiver and also carries back the 12 volts from the antenna up circuit to switch the relay. There is a 120VAC IEC socket to provide power to the switch contacts of the relay and also a NEMA 5-15 socket to provide switched 120VAC to the charger.

NICE!! :thumbup:

PostPosted: April 6th, 2020, 10:26 pm 

May I ask, why couldn't you power it from a 12 volt DC supply?

PostPosted: April 7th, 2020, 6:16 am 

tomp wrote:
Here are three pictures. One is the receiver in a wood case I made for it with the selector switch in a box next to it. Another is one of the Polk bookshelf speakers. The third is the box I made containing the battery and relay with the charger resting on top. The banana jacks are for the charger input. The blue cable connects the 12V power to the receiver and also carries back the 12 volts from the antenna up circuit to switch the relay. There is a 120VAC IEC socket to provide power to the switch contacts of the relay and also a NEMA 5-15 socket to provide switched 120VAC to the charger.

Product of pure passion AKA insanity. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: April 7th, 2020, 8:48 am 

As I said it is a box I made with an SLA battery for the 12V and arelay to provide 120V power to the charger that is resting on the battery when the radio is on.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2020, 8:53 am 

Grover Gardner wrote:
May I ask, why couldn't you power it from a 12 volt DC supply?

It could have been done either way. If you note there is a handle on the top of the box that would allow me to take the battery and make the whole thing portable if, for example, I wanted to take it to an outdoor party. Not really necessary, but then again how many things do we all make that are not a straight line to one possible solution. That's the fun of DIY, finding alternate solutions and making them work.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2020, 10:27 am 

You always get your best ideas in the shower. While taking mine this morning I remembered another reason for using the battery. If you have ever changed a battery in your car and did not bypass the battery leads with a small standby 12V battery before disconnecting the main one, your radio will lose all the presets. If I used a 12V supply instead of the battery, I would have to leave it on all the time to keep the memory from being erased. The drain is very low when the battery is off but if it is interrupted, say goodbye to the presets. Since the radio is off more than on, I did not want to waste the standby power of the power supply for all that off time.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2020, 11:12 am 

Makes sense, thanks.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2020, 1:49 pm 

Also better for routine power outages, pandemics leading to mass infrastructure failures, the Animal Revolution, and of course a Zombie Apocalypse. Never know when one of those will happen.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2020, 3:46 pm 

Jim G wrote:
Also better for routine power outages, pandemics leading to mass infrastructure failures, the Animal Revolution, and of course a Zombie Apocalypse. Never know when one of those will happen.

Not to mention global apocalypse! :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next