DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2020, 1:34 pm 

they are also doped
I do not remember the solution i used
from speaker buider i think

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2020, 2:49 pm 

I am playing with a Fire TV Cube. I have an hdmi audio stripper that gives me a spdif coax audio output to use with my miniDSP OpenDRC-DA dsp processor/crossover.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2020, 9:43 am 

I thought I would provide an update. My plan was to build an amp using an Ikea Roskog trolley however they are out of stock.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/raskog-utility-cart-white-20382932/

So I drug out the old chassis of a Baldwin organ amp that I have used for quite a few projects and I will ration myself to an hour each day to work on it. Most of my amplifier building stuff is in boxes in a storage unit so I went and got some stuff out and brought it home. I am still planning to build the KT88 amp mentioned in the video but use a 5687 and 6550's since that was what I could easily find in the boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNBgo9Md8IU&t=809s

Here is a photo of the chassis. I am wondering where I can find some room for more holes since I obviously don't have enough of them.

ray

Attachments:
P1120962.jpg
P1120962.jpg [ 323.74 KiB | Viewed 7330 times ]

PostPosted: March 25th, 2020, 11:11 am 

Reminds be of a 1960s and earlier small aircraft instrument panel. We used to call them "shotgun" panels (before the "sacred six"). Looked like the manufacturer fired a shotgun at the panel. Wherever there was a hole, they installed an instrument or gauge.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 12:23 pm 

I am building a Goatee.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 1:47 pm 

I think a Soul Patch is okay when wearing a mask/respirator but not a goatee.;-)

PostPosted: April 5th, 2020, 4:26 pm 

There has been some slow progress on my Corona amplifier. I limit myself to a few minutes each day since I suspect we will be in isolation for quite a while. I am also slow since I don't have most of my usual tools etc.

I have remounted the power transformer and also mounted the two output transformers. They are 5K NP Acoustic SE amorphous core from Hanoi in Vietnam - NP5SE18F60. I bought them in Australia a couple of years ago but was unable to use them because of my illness which made building too difficult.. They are supposed to sound pretty good.

http://npacoustic.com/en/product-and-price

I have mounted them on wooden strips because I had trouble lining up holes for the wire connections. You would think that I had enough holes!

ray

Attachments:
Webp.net-resizeimage 3.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage 3.jpg [ 161.78 KiB | Viewed 7114 times ]
Webp.net-resizeimage 2.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage 2.jpg [ 204.09 KiB | Viewed 7114 times ]
Webp.net-resizeimage 1.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage 1.jpg [ 156.88 KiB | Viewed 7114 times ]

PostPosted: April 17th, 2020, 11:01 am 

A progress report.

Ikea still had the black Raskog trolley available so I ordered one. Since I was curious to find out what it would be like to actually build with one of the trays, I have transferred the components to one of them.

I was hoping the mesh would allow me not to have to drill too many holes but invariably the components don't line up too well. The tray is strong enough to hold the components but I suspect it will ring unless I apply dampening material. So far, the amp weighs 25 pounds which I can lift quite easily now. Hallelujah!

Attachment:
top.jpg
top.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 6968 times ]

It's ugly, but so am I.

Attachment:
bottom.jpg
bottom.jpg [ 428.62 KiB | Viewed 6968 times ]

No wiring yet. I continue to do just a little every day as a treat for myself. Since most of my usual tools are packed, it has been a bit difficult to do some things and the experience has given me some food for thought. It will be interesting to hear how the amp turns out. The input tube will be a 5687 and the outputs are 6550s.

ray