DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DAP recommendations
PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 6:37 pm 

I really don't know too much about these devices but I know that I should probably get one and ideas and recommendations will be welcome.

Some of you may remember that I had real trouble walking and standing up last year. Each month I spend five days in a row being infused with immuno globulin to treat my disease of Necrotizing Immuno Myopathy. The doctors tell me it will continue for the rest of my days, but after four months of treatment, I can walk three miles, jog a thousand steps and also lift 40 lb. It's miraculous! More about the disease here. https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/13307/necrotizing-autoimmune-myopathy

Currently, I sit in an arm chair for three hours streaming Qobuz through my Moto G7 phone (connected to the hospital wifi) and < $100 inner ear phones. I suspect their impedance is low. No doubt I could do a lot better.

I have a Massdrop version of the Senheiser H600 which I like and they feel comfortable for hours on end. I would be prepared to lug them along instead of the earphones.

So I would like the device to have an Android interface since I am used to it and the ability to stream Qobuz is essential. Hopefully the device can last more than three hours on battery and is very portable.

ray

Post subject: Re: DAP recommendations
PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

I know there are/were some android phones that were purported to have good audio, but I don’t know which ones... Tidal/Qobuz would of course work fine on them. No idea on battery life when playing. They’ll take a huge sd card as well if you want to stream your own music.

Roscoe

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 7:45 pm 

Hi Ray,
So great that you’re having successful treatment!
Are you sure you want a DAP? I was thinking that a portable headphone amp would drive the Sennheisers with your current phone as the source.
Also, I don’t know about the surroundings at the hospital, but I’m sure you’ve noticed that the Sennheisers emit sound from their open backs. If you need to avoid making noise others can hear, you might want to consider closed back headphones, or maybe better in-ear monitors(IEMs). There are lots of choices in IEMs, up to thousands of dollars. I have a pair of Etymotic ER-4 that I enjoy using, I think they’re about $300 new.
Hope this helps- best wishes for continued improved health!

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 7:51 pm 

Check out the mini-dsp website. Do you want digital in and out or digital in and analog out.

https://www.minidsp.com/?gclid=EAIaIQob ... gIhh_D_BwE

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 8:09 pm 

The top LG phones have great DACs. I have a LG G6 Plus I picked up 1-1/2 years ago which has an ESS Saber quad DAC that sounds great and plays hi-res. I setup up the android QoBuz today and played it back over my office system, and I was playing 192/24 content through it. LG has made audio quality a priority for their high-end phones, particularily the V series phones. My phone has 128 GB plus an SD card slot (I added a 256 GB card), so have a decent library sitting on the phone.

Another option are the Fiio DAPs. There is someone very active on Audio Asylum who swears by the audio quality of M11 Pro with twin AKM 4497 DACs and balanced output.

A couple of things to check out.

David

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 9:02 pm 

Ray,
I have a iBasso DC02 DAC which I am unable to use with IPhone 11. If you want to use it (for free) with ur phone I can mail it to you. PM me the address.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 9:15 pm 

Hi Shashi,

I have sent you a pm accepting. It is very kind of you.

ray

PostPosted: February 1st, 2020, 12:52 pm 

pboser wrote:
Hi Ray,
So great that you’re having successful treatment!
Are you sure you want a DAP? I was thinking that a portable headphone amp would drive the Sennheisers with your current phone as the source.
Also, I don’t know about the surroundings at the hospital, but I’m sure you’ve noticed that the Sennheisers emit sound from their open backs. If you need to avoid making noise others can hear, you might want to consider closed back headphones, or maybe better in-ear monitors(IEMs). There are lots of choices in IEMs, up to thousands of dollars. I have a pair of Etymotic ER-4 that I enjoy using, I think they’re about $300 new.
Hope this helps- best wishes for continued improved health!

I had ER-4S for several years before I left them in a hotel room in Texas. Since then, I have been missing a good set of earphones. Thanks for reminding me of ER-4, ordered ER4XR.

I also have HD-600 which I used regularly until I got ER-4S to use with the cell phone. HD-600 is an excellent headphone, but I liked ER-4S better even though it lacked bass response. It was addictive.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2020, 5:13 pm 

I also use my phone instead of a dedicated DAP. I augment it with an Audioquest Dragonfly usb DAC. I just got the Dragonfly Cobalt for Christmas and it sounds great. If you want to give that kind of a setup a try then I can lend you my Dragonfly Red that I’m not using.

For headphones that’s just a wide ocean. I’ve used the Etymotic ones mentioned above for years; great recommendation. Very neutral sound and super noise isolation. They have versions that are a bit more generous in the bass that I’d probably like better. I travel a bunch so in-ear phones worked best for me. I’m currently using Campfire Audio Andromeda headphones. They aren’t super neutral but I enjoy the indulgence. Let me know if you want to give the Dragonfly a try. I can mail it to you.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2020, 5:55 pm 

I never thought of getting a USB C to USB A adapter for the Dragonfly. I already have the black version, so let's see how the iBasso works out.

ray