DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: FreeNAS
PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 4:42 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Paul,

I hear you. I am researching streaming service, but have a pretty substantial collection (probably close to 3500 CDs, which over 2000 are already ripped in lossless FLAC. Some of them are a couple or three decades old and some may be a little obscure to show up (i.e., I had to index them myself). I am wondering whether it is worth ripping the rest of my collection. But I also want to get use of what I have.

My biggest question is which streaming service to get for Classical music, and which has the best sound. I suspect I would be more interested in Qobuz over Tidal, and Amazon seems to be pretty hard to get working unless you are driving it with a Mac or Windows box.

Also need to figure out what setup I need on both a backend and renderer for a streaming service.

So much to learn.

David

You could "stream" directly off of vinyl with a good phono front end and end your pain. :violin:

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 5:11 pm 

Cogito wrote:
m1garandusa wrote:
I know ECC ram requires a special motherboard, but does it also require a particular type of CPU? I’m rebuilding my FreeNAS system and want to upgrade to ECC ram.

If you want to build a FreeNAS Machine I suggest to look at 2-3 generations old HP or Dell Servers. They come as 2U rack mounts.

Take a look at this:
7th Gen HP DL380 Server, 48 GB Memory, 12 drvie Bays with 6 populated with SAS Drives, nice Smart Array P410 RAID Controller, redundant power supplies etc. etc....

All for under $1K. This will work for years and years if you protect from power surges.

https://www.cablesandkits.com/mc/server ... IntelE5640

With 6 fans running how much noise would this generate?

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 5:14 pm 

tomp wrote:
Cogito wrote:
m1garandusa wrote:
I know ECC ram requires a special motherboard, but does it also require a particular type of CPU? I’m rebuilding my FreeNAS system and want to upgrade to ECC ram.

If you want to build a FreeNAS Machine I suggest to look at 2-3 generations old HP or Dell Servers. They come as 2U rack mounts.

Take a look at this:
7th Gen HP DL380 Server, 48 GB Memory, 12 drvie Bays with 6 populated with SAS Drives, nice Smart Array P410 RAID Controller, redundant power supplies etc. etc....

All for under $1K. This will work for years and years if you protect from power surges.

https://www.cablesandkits.com/mc/server ... IntelE5640

With 6 fans running how much noise would this generate?

6 fans are there to prevent overheating. Due to the narrow profile, hot air has to be removed from the server enclosure ASAP. THey are designed for data centers, not music rooms. I you can tuck it away in the basement where it doesn't get too hot and have a fan to keep air circulating, you should be fine.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 5:57 pm 

Or you can take the lid off or at least raise it up to allow the hot air to escape.

ray

PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

Real servers are noisy. And, they use huge amounts of electricity. You can get away with less cooling if you can put the drives in alternate slots, the fact that the drives are essentially touching each other is a big problem that requires lots of air flow. Also, unless the raid controller can be configured for JBOD (just a bunch of drives), you don't want it for FreeNAS.

Roscoe

PostPosted: February 1st, 2020, 8:17 am 

Walt,
I am beginning to believe that it’s now harder to get musicality out of an analogue system than a digital system.
DAC technology is getting really good, but at the same time I am beginning to feel (at this time) anything over 192k 24 bit is passed “dimensioning returns”

With Quboz 192 stream and a good DAC I could easily give up on My analog front end.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7