DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 30th, 2020, 9:22 am 

This thread is for those who are using streaming for listening to classical music. If you come across something that you particularly enjoy, let us know. I will start off with a couple of pianists.

Sudbin playing Scarlatti (piano)

Rana playing Bach's Goldbergs and also her Ravel recording. The latter also includes Petrushka but it is not as good as the Pollini.

ray

PostPosted: January 30th, 2020, 4:25 pm 

Mozart Complete Piano Trios, artist is Trio Vega.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2020, 5:00 pm 

I have created a DCDIY playlist and added your suggestion. Next week I will let you know what I think.

ray

PostPosted: February 5th, 2020, 6:46 pm 

Another one from today. This one also comes from Tidal radio. I'm a sucker for chamber music. The quality of the recording really caught my attention. Wish there was an easy way to provide a link from Roon.

The Wigmore Hall Recital
Antonio Meneses / Maria Joao Pires
format: FLAC 48kHz 24bbit, MQA 96kHz.

There's a tilda over the a in Joao but I don't know how to type that special character.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2020, 6:58 pm 

The Wigmore recital is not on Qobuz yet as far as I can tell. I started on the Mozart Trios today and have been really enjoying them.

ray

PostPosted: February 5th, 2020, 8:01 pm 

doug2761 wrote:
....There's a tilda over the a in Joao but I don't know how to type that special character.

If you're typing on a flat phone, press and hold the letter "a" and a pop up window will open with the "ã" option. You have to use a different finger to select it while continuing to hold down the "a".

PostPosted: February 6th, 2020, 9:49 pm 

On the DAP thread, I mentioned listening to the free streaming from the Philadelphia Orchestra of Rachmaninov's Symphony 1 as part of their Listen on Demand service.

https://www.philorch.org/your-philorch/learn-more/ondemand/

The performance was on June 8 2019 and the performance is excellent. It was recorded in Verizon Hall. It reminded me of the Ormandy recordings with the same orchestra. Just listen to the strings, especially the cellos and basses.

It seems DG is recording the Phiily Orchestra in all the major Rachmaninov works including Trinanov in the concertos. Two weeks ago, the orchestra performed the 3rd symphony in the old Academy of Music where the symphony was first performed. It was the first time that the orchestra performed a regular concert in the Academy since 2001 so wife and I went. We had superb seats up with gods in the front row and could hear perfectly and in that dry hall you hear everything. It was so much louder than in Verison Hall and has huge impact. Again, it was a performance that reminded me of the Ormandy version. It truly is a superb orchestra and I believe I can hear that special sound in the recording.

I will comment about some of the other recommended streaming performances tomorrow.

ray

PostPosted: February 10th, 2020, 11:15 am 

I listened to that performance this past Friday. Really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2020, 5:40 pm 

I'm pleased you enjoyed the Rachmaninov. I'll try some of their other concerts sometime.

I really enjoyed the Trio Vega Mozart. Lovely performances.

The Versailles recording was mentioned on another thread and I am in two minds about it. The concept and the music were great but for some of the pieces, I thought at times that the pianist was having an off day. I listened to the recording a few times and some days his playing seemed better than others. I suppose that means my opinion is not to be trusted.

I also tried Tharaud playing with a cellist (Jean-Guihen Queyras) in another concept album called Complices. No complaints with this and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Another unexpected winner for me came from the Piano Duo Takahashi of transcriptions of Bach by Max Reger. In the past, I would never have bought something like that but streaming something unusual is just so easy. If I don't like it, I just move on to the next album.

ray

PostPosted: February 13th, 2020, 8:01 pm 

Bumping this topic, my sister sent me this wonderful example of sober and sombre conducting that is not commonly seen on the concert platform.

https://twitter.com/rhodri/status/1227901652902064128

Yes it may seem a little exaggerated but he knows what he is doing as does this better known conductor. There are certain similarities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkOiKy6sXfM

I can just image Roscoe doing an impersonation of the first conductor.

ray