DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 9:40 pm 

I have mentioned before that I have subscribed to Qobuz and I mostly listen to classical music. Since I am retired, I have plenty of spare time to listen to music and I mostly listen to my own collection during the daytime but change to Qobuz during the evening or when I am away from the house.

Yes, it's like being in a nice warm tub listening to my collection since it is so familiar, but if I want something new and exciting I listen to Qobuz. There is just so much music that is out there to be listened to and occasionally something comes along that knocks your socks off.

The word 'incandescent' can be used to describe certain performances but they are fairly rare. Tonight I listened to Mengelberg conduct the Concertgebouw in Tchaikovsky Symphony 4 in 1929. It must have been something to behold in the concert hall. The sound is actually pretty decent considering the recording date.

And then there are so many excellent new artists. Listen to Beatrice Rana play Ravel.

I suspect the same is true in the non-classical world. Perhaps you would like to mention something where you finished up in your bare feet.

ray

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 10:12 pm 

ratbagp wrote:
I have mentioned before that I have subscribed to Qobuz and I mostly listen to classical music. Since I am retired, I have plenty of spare time to listen to music and I mostly listen to my own collection during the daytime but change to Qobuz during the evening or when I am away from the house.

Yes, it's like being in a nice warm tub listening to my collection since it is so familiar, but if I want something new and exciting I listen to Qobuz. There is just so much music that is out there to be listened to and occasionally something comes along that knocks your socks off.

The word 'incandescent' can be used to describe certain performances but they are fairly rare. Tonight I listened to Mengelberg conduct the Concertgebouw in Tchaikovsky Symphony 4 in 1929. It must have been something to behold in the concert hall. The sound is actually pretty decent considering the recording date.

And then there are so many excellent new artists. Listen to Beatrice Rana play Ravel.

I suspect the same is true in the non-classical world. Perhaps you would like to mention something where you finished up in your bare feet.

ray

There is not enough money in this world get me out of my vinyl and some treasured CDs.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 10:35 pm 

I’m doing something similar with Tidal and Roon. I like to start listening to a recording I own and allow Roon to play other tracks from my collection and from Tidal after the album is done. For me it’s a great way to discover music. I used to use Pandora for music discovery but adding albums I like from Tidal into my collection on Roon is just so darn easy. I think I’ll buy albums I like if they are available in higher resolution than Tidal. It seems to me that cloud streaming is the longer term future. If I had a large LP collection it might be different. I also like that my equipment footprint is pretty small.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2020, 6:28 am 

If I was starting from nothing a good laptop, external DAC and powered speakers, Quboz would be my system.
I have a decent analog system and still pull lp’s out and listen and enjoy. But it’s main
Y because it’s there. I have a good sounding didgitsl side too with 12Tb of files but most of the time I am listening to streaming Jazz Over ABC Jazz from Australia it’s a great channel.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2020, 8:14 am 

The Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC) has a long tradition of playing jazz on radio. In particular, during the 60's and 70's there was a two hour long program that broadcast every night at 10 pm called 'Relax with me' hosted by a bloke called Arch McKirdy. Over 400,000 people listened at least once a week, which is impressive considering the country's population was only 13 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_McKirdy

I would listen to the program occasionally though I admit I didn't really understand the genre.

ray

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2020, 11:37 am 

I would not chuck my collection. ;-). Tidal is nice to explore new things, and it seems pretty well established, but there's a LOT they don't have in classical and jazz. Hyperion, a terrific classical label, does not allow their catalog to be streamed, for instance (though they do have a very good download store). And bear in the "Netflix" syndrome--stuff comes and goes according to the whim of licensors, licensees and rights-holders.