DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 12:35 pm 

Dirt would be a bad idea. You don't want loose debris caught between the voice coil and the gap.

David

PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 3:26 pm 

David McGown wrote:
I you do not like orange, Lowes' bucket is blue. Home Depot has 5 gallon food grade buckets in white that cost a little more than the homer buckets. If you want to have a little more volume and fit a larger driver, go to a home brewing shop and get a 7 gallon fermentation bucket (without spigot).

David

Wouldn't the spigot be an adjustable port?

Precise tuning...

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 12:50 am 

Another thought:
Why use a plastic container for a subwoofer just to have to majorly modify it versus using a cheap speaker box? A cheap speaker box is not orange, white, or blue. It has that standard dark grey carpet that doesn't look so bad wherever it is placed. It is wood (usually MDF) and has terminals. They come sealed or ported.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 8:12 am 

The project is 'out of the box' thinking. There are any number of normal box subwoofer designs but there are some DIYers who are attracted to unusual designs. If you are not one of those people then this is not the project for you.

By the way, I drive an oranger Honda Fit. Most people would not be caught dead in a car of that colour. But when you have trouble walking, it is wonderful to walk out into a large parking lot and see where my car is instantly among the horde of white, silver and grey vehicles. I was going to use white buckets but now I might use orange just for the hell of it.

ray

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 8:52 am 

As far as vibrating on the floor it depends on what you call low volumes. Remember the ear sensitivity to low frequencies can drop as much as 60 dB in relation to midranges at low volumes. You can look up the equal loudness curves that used to be the Fletcher/Munson curves in the old days. You may have to drive the bucket harder than you think.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 12:58 pm 

ratbagp wrote:
The project is 'out of the box' thinking. There are any number of normal box subwoofer designs but there are some DIYers who are attracted to unusual designs. If you are not one of those people then this is not the project for you.

By the way, I drive an oranger Honda Fit. Most people would not be caught dead in a car of that colour. But when you have trouble walking, it is wonderful to walk out into a large parking lot and see where my car is instantly among the horde of white, silver and grey vehicles. I was going to use white buckets but now I might use orange just for the hell of it.

ray

I'm not talking about subwoofer designs. I am talking about buying a pre-fabricated car audio speaker box. The come in assorted layouts and designs. Single eight inch to multi fifteen inch. MDF. Sealed, ported, or band pass. No concrete to deal with.

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/empty ... -boxes/402

I would grab the blue. The orange has Home Depot on it.

A Lambo or the like can be orange. No hatchback should ever be orange. It's one of those "it don't look right".

Instead of concrete, what about a round, lifting weight inside? I remember there was a local CAF vendor who had a big horn and used weights as ballast.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 1:14 pm 

A lifting weight is a good idea. Except don't accidently turn the speaker upside down or you are likely to damage the speaker magnet, frame, or knock the voice coil out of alignment.

David

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 1:32 pm 

I made a couple of these and at first I didn’t want to face the concrete. But it wasn’t too bad. You could use a cardboard box and trash bag- then just discard the unused part. No cleanup!

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 2:10 pm 

Using any kind of weight inside the bucket without fastening it in addition to possible damaging the driver if overturned could also lead to vibrations between the weight and bucket. Speaking of concrete I would not use concrete in such a small enclosure. Since you don't need the added strength provided by the aggregate I would use sand mix. It is easier to deal with. Also, If you use cement I would also fasten it because the concrete or sand mix will not stick well to the tapered sides of a plastic bucket. You should seal it seal it because cement dust can also be bad for the driver.

Here is another crazy idea. You could use a plug about 1 inch smaller than the inside dimensions of the bucket covered with a small plastic trash bag as a form. The plug can be as simple as another bucket not placed all the way down into the first bucket. The tapered sides will provide the needed wall spacing. You should oil the inside surface of the outside bucket to allow easy removal later. Then pour the sand mix between the bucket and the plug. When it hardens, remove the plug and viola, you have a cement enclosure that will not only provide you with weight but also minimize any wall vibrations. To simplify attaching a top cover to mount the driver you could insert some #8 X 32 stainless steel machine screws pointing up into the cement after pouring. You would still have to seal the cement. Definitely wacko but an interesting DIY idea.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2019, 3:03 pm 

The directions include screws into the bucket to secure the concrete.
Interesting info about alternatives to concrete- I admit to ignorance about the differences.