DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Protect your data!!
PostPosted: September 8th, 2019, 10:27 am 

Over the past few weeks I have been updating all of the computers in the house. New CPU/motherboard/memory/M.2 drive for main computers with fresh install of windows 10 1903
all other computers get replacement SSD HD and fresh install of Win 10 1903.

All data and music is on NAS

What to do with all the old mechanical HD's
After reformatting and security rewite I went one more step

Attachments:
HD_2_SM_th.jpg
HD_2_SM_th.jpg [ 118.3 KiB | Viewed 10578 times ]
HD_1_SM_th.jpg
HD_1_SM_th.jpg [ 122.34 KiB | Viewed 10578 times ]

Post subject: Re: Protect your data!!
PostPosted: September 8th, 2019, 10:56 am 

If you had a linux machine with a dock for the hard drive you have these options -

https://linoxide.com/linux-command/comm ... isk-linux/

PostPosted: September 8th, 2019, 7:46 pm 

Some drives have aluminum platters and some glass. I remove both types. Then I bend the aluminum ones in half in a vise and put the glass ones in a paper towel and smash them with a hammer. Problems solved.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2019, 8:02 pm 

If the drive's dead, great options. If not, wiping is easy and you have a spare drive if you ever need it. Protecting data is the primary reason I always try to set up discs as RAID0. Any given drive does not have any meaningful data.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2019, 8:13 pm 

My understanding is that raid 0 is not resilient if you lose a drive. Raid 5 is resilient.

Ray

PostPosted: September 8th, 2019, 8:15 pm 

That is correct. I back up everything all the time so I'm not worried about the RAID being resilient.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2019, 6:14 am 

My protection scheme is fairly simple.
With the price of SSD so reasonable theses days I keep a cloned spare with each computer after a rebuild. All personal data is on one NAS that is Raid 1 plus backed up monthly with Acronis.
Music is on an other NAS that I have backed up with the original USB drives that DaveR made from his files and the Backup club. So there is a double backup there with one off site at Dave’s house.
I do a fresh install of Windows on my main computer fairly often, maybe yearly. This is easy these days and takes very li time with SSD and image on a USB stick. Maybe an hour or so.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2019, 10:45 am 

I take old drives apart and remove the actual platters and then demagnetize them. The resulting disks make nice ornaments to hang from your ceiling.

On the other hand, driving a big screw through the drive as you have appeared to have done should do the trick -- maybe you could try sending a photo of that drive to a drive repair shop and see what they say they can do for you!

PostPosted: September 13th, 2019, 8:05 am 

Actually I was trying to be a bit funny here with a serious subject.
I just wanted to get the point across not to just do nothing with your old HD’s.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2019, 10:23 am 

It is an important subject as we're all vulnerable. Speaking with some experience as my wife and I had our identities stolen.

We don't share the same last name and thought it was extra unusual to both be compromised on almost the same day. Only 3 places where both our information is combined. Our accountant, our medical insurance company, and our mortgage company.

I trust our accountant when she said it wasn't her. No other clients effected. We'll never know where the loss happened, but it's likely a mortgage broker had our (and others) documents on an unsecure laptop.

On a side note, some of you are probably starting to receive notices about becoming current with our new Federally mandated national identification card system known as Real ID. Slipped into must past legislation by a zealot congressman, the legislation established a Federal database of all our critical personal information including scanned copies of our original birth certificate or passport, our original Social Security cards, photograph, and documents from places like banks or financial institutions that help prove we live at a particular address. All anyone needs to steal your identity (plus some), in a nice cozy file stored on a server in each of the 50 states........you guessed it, Department of Motor Vehicles. A place were password123, or Fluffymycat are still considered secure. And, all 50 states are required have this information available to DHS, other federal agencies (and therefore, the Iranians, North Koreans, Russians, and Chinese) at the click of a mouse. Only in America would we serve up this treasure trove of personal information of it's citizens all in one place, in the name of homeland security. (Insert dope slap emoji here)