DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 4th, 2019, 4:25 pm 

I don't have a dedicated music room. Instead, my music room in our family room. 

There is no TV there - just a music system. 

Sometimes I listen to music in the morning during breakfast and again later in the day when I come home for work. 

My wife occasionally listens to the system in the afternoon. 

My question is: Is it okay to turn on-off a tube based system multiple times a day?

I've really only owned solid state systems over the years. I have owned a tube based system at one time but then was very careful only to listen to the system once a day or every other day. 

The manual on my Plinius SA-100MKIII (solid state) amp specifically instructs to leave the amp on all the time, indicating that it uses absolutely minimal power when idle. 

Thoughts anyone?

PostPosted: July 4th, 2019, 4:47 pm 

dkalsi wrote:
I don't have a dedicated music room. Instead, my music room in our family room. 

There is no TV there - just a music system. 

Sometimes I listen to music in the morning during breakfast and again later in the day when I come home for work. 

My wife occasionally listens to the system in the afternoon. 

My question is: Is it okay to turn on-off a tube based system multiple times a day?

I've really only owned solid state systems over the years. I have owned a tube based system at one time but then was very careful only to listen to the system once a day or every other day. 

The manual on my Plinius SA-100MKIII (solid state) amp specifically instructs to leave the amp on all the time, indicating that it uses absolutely minimal power when idle. 

Thoughts anyone?

A lot depends on the amplifier. If -- and this is a big IF -- the amplifier has a turn-on time delay holding off the B+ supply to allow for the filaments to get to temperature -- then I don't see a problem other than wear-and-tear on the controls. Should your amplifier not have that feature then there is an issue with cathode stripping that can shorten tube life.

As far as the manufacturer's comment is concerned -- I would not call the current draw minimal. Beside filament current and idle power-tube bias you are drawing much more current than your solid-state amps did when in stasis. My view? The cost of premature tube placement and/or repairs can cost much more than the energy usage leaving the amps. on.

It's your call ultimately.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2019, 5:04 pm 

Thanks, Walt.

I think I will stay with my Plinius solid state amp. I was thinking about replacing my passive pre with a tube preamplifier.

So I was curious if I should be concerned with turning the tube pre-amplifier on multiple times a day.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2019, 5:21 pm 

Walt's is generally correct. But think about this for a minute.

Most preamps have a couple tubes at most, many that are fairly inexpensive to replace. A 6SN7 or 12AU7 based preamp may have tubes that last 3-5+ years easily and can cost as little as $25-50 to replace them (about what is cost to fill up your car's gas tank). Is that really too expensive? Especially if you enjoy the sound you get from the active, tube based preamp. I used a tube preamp for many years and just replaced the two gain stage tubes and rectifier every 5 years or so (with daily use).... just because I figured I might as well. I NEVER had a tube fail.

Replacing and matching the output devices for your Plinius amp may require a lot more effort and cost (if the devices are even available now).

Perhaps poorly designed tube gear or designers who want to set their tubes on fire might account for tube's reputation for issues (or tube amps with LOTS of matched output tubes) but a tube preamp should be dead reliable for years of daily use, even with multiple, daily on/off cycling IMHO.

dkalsi wrote:
Thanks, Walt.

I think I will stay with my Plinius solid state amp. I was thinking about replacing my passive pre with a tube preamplifier.

So I was curious if I should be concerned with turning the tube pre-amplifier on multiple times a day.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2019, 9:50 pm 

TubeDriver wrote:
Walt's is generally correct. But think about this for a minute.

Most preamps have a couple tubes at most, many that are fairly inexpensive to replace. A 6SN7 or 12AU7 based preamp may have tubes that last 3-5+ years easily and can cost as little as $25-50 to replace them (about what is cost to fill up your car's gas tank). Is that really too expensive?

Correct - and I don't mind purchasing new tubes at all. I just hope I'm not damaging anything.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2019, 7:59 am 

I have a tape recorder that I have used often and still do since my dad bought it in 1963. Every time it comes to the end of a reel of tape it turns off, including the built-in tube power amp (EL84 single-ended) plus a bunch of other tubes. I have never had to replace any tube, and I actually did test the tubes a few years ago. They were like new!

So unless there is something really wrong with the design, don't worry about it. Your tubes will last longer if they are not running unnecessarily. But use common sense here as there is thermal shock whether it is ss gear or tube gear. Don't shut things down to take a phone call.

David

PostPosted: July 5th, 2019, 11:46 am 

dberning wrote:
Don't shut things down to take a phone call.

David

Haha - duly noted, David :lol:

PostPosted: July 5th, 2019, 12:04 pm 

Just to be clear, we're talking about a preamp, right? Years ago, small-signal tube equipment stayed on for years at radio stations without a problem. ;-) A tube amplifier is another matter, though. It's not a good idea to leave high-powered tube amplifiers on unless you're at home and nearby.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2019, 2:25 pm 

That is correct - the question was regarding a tube preamp.

That being said, whether tube preamp or tube amp, at no point would the system be unattended. It’s in our living room and the floor plan is open to the dining room and kitchen.

Last edited by dkalsi on July 5th, 2019, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2019, 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

Pre-amps here, tube or solid state, stay on 24/7 unless I'm going out of town for more than a weekend....

Roscoe