DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to find sources
PostPosted: March 14th, 2019, 8:22 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:
I’m not claiming to be an Audiophile!.
I think Audiophilism (not a real word, but I am using it) is a personality disorder.

Actually I found that it is a word. You add “ism” to Audiophile – as in Audiophileism and it is defined as a movement, doctrine, or system of belief.

So -- wait for it -- you better sit down -- that must mean we are a Cult. :ugeek:

PostPosted: March 14th, 2019, 8:38 am 

Dictionary definition of Audiophile: a person who is especially interested in high-fidelity sound reproduction

That defines all of us in the DIY group here and members of HiFi group. Our approaches to HiFi sound reproduction are different depending upon our resources like time, money, knowledge, sonic preference, etc,.

We are all audiophiles.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2019, 10:03 am 

Cogito wrote:
Dictionary definition of Audiophile: a person who is especially interested in high-fidelity sound reproduction

That defines all of us in the DIY group here and members of HiFi group. Our approaches to HiFi sound reproduction are different depending upon our resources like time, money, knowledge, sonic preference, etc,.

We are all audiophiles.

I believe we all made it pass the 6th grade. OY VEY!

PostPosted: March 14th, 2019, 2:17 pm 

How can you want to be a member of a group that spends what a Tesla Model 3 costs for a TT, or house costs for a speaker system and claim to be an expert

PostPosted: March 14th, 2019, 4:39 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
How can you want to be a member of a group that spends what a Tesla Model 3 costs for a TT, or house costs for a speaker system and claim to be an expert

I don't think there is anyone within this group that spends that kind of money or would want to if they had the means. That's why we are who we are. We throw time at our audio issues rather than money. It is after all, a hobby.

I have a friend that thinks nothing of spending $20,000 on a pre-amp or whatever. Yet he is never satisfied. I lost count of the number of components he has purchased over the past two decades constantly trying to upgrade yet he only makes changes -- differences -- not improvements. He ran past the point of diminishing returns many years ago.

Paul, I am not sure why you made that comment, but this crowd typically does not fit your description.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2019, 5:00 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:

From my perspective, "high-fidelity" is on the top 5 priorities of audio equipment manufacturers. For example, why did all most of the audio speaker manufacturers decide that a 3-way speaker with passive crossover, small rectangular footprint and about 3-4' tall is the best speaker that can be built?

Well, its not. Their decisions are based on

1. Ease of Manufacture
2. Cost of Manufacture
3. Easy on the eyes (furniture grade box)
4. Size should be small enough to fit most homes
5. Should be driven by a single amplifier

yet they sell this darn speaker for several thousands of $$$.
For that money, cant they make "high-fidelity" the primary goal? They can, but they wont because they need to sell it to every tom, dick and harry.

That is my justification of DIY.