DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 12:25 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
I would keep the cover external until you are satisfied with the sound

Smart

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 12:34 pm 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
Wrong on every count. I DID read the entire thread, including the second post on page ten.

Of course, and in close proximity, 90 degree angles between inductor or transformer cores is required. I never disputed that.

Here is the issue: when is it required? At what distance, frequency and current is it prudent? Must the inductors used in crossovers of speakers placed ten feet apart be placed at 90 degrees from each other? Of course not. Must transformers in monoblocks, sitting four feet from each other be at right angles? Obviously not. Do inductors three inches apart on the same chassis? Of course they do.

BUT, at some combination of distance and field strength, it doesn't matter. That's the issue. Rich has provided a handy rule-of-thumb guide to the issue, at least as far as air cores are concerned.

In the drawing I made for Steve (which FOR THIS VERY REASON I would have only sent by PM, save for the single file limitation) the inductors are spaced at 7.2" Rich's drawing suggests a 7.88 minimum. I bet it would be sonically indistinguishable either way. But you are welcome to prove me wrong

You prove the wisdom of those who avoid posting on this site by your post attacking me over nothing.

You claim to have read that entire thread including 2nd post in page 10, yet you didn't know the jpg Rich Provided is from the site I linked in the very same 2nd post in page 10.
Anyway.... my point is made.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 1:42 pm 

Negative. I said I read the entire thread. Not every single link.

So Shashi, tell me about the real effects of having the actual inductors positioned as I showed them, versus the position shown, or the 90 axis turn shown with a specific practical distance shown.

What level of interference to expect? Provide citations and calculations as well as the results of a simulation or actual build.

Otherwise, your post is meaningless and another diversion. Just an effort to prove something while doing nothing.

Exactly what difference in sound will there be? Guide Steve. Show Steve the measurable or audible difference in spacing those two inductors as I did, versus how I should have done it if only I had read every link you have ever posted

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 2:08 pm 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
Negative. I said I read the entire thread. Not every single link.

So Shashi, tell me about the real effects of having the actual inductors positioned as I showed them, versus the position shown, or the 90 axis turn shown with a specific practical distance shown.

What level of interference to expect? Provide citations and calculations as well as the results of a simulation or actual build.

Otherwise, your post is meaningless and another diversion. Just an effort to prove something while doing nothing.

Exactly what difference in sound will there be? Guide Steve. Show Steve the measurable or audible difference in spacing those two inductors as I did, versus how I should have done it if only I had read every link you have ever posted

You are getting testy now. Relax.

Read 2nd from bottom on page 10 and 7th post on page 11 including the content on the link I provided in 2nd post on page 10. They have all the information you need.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 4:41 pm 

1. I don't need the information.
2. Might be helpful to Steve, but I doubt it.
3. IMHO, it's fine as drawn until proven otherwise. No harm in rotating one inductor. Cant hurt.
4. Dude, you keep making every thread about you, whether its Tom, Walt of me on the other end. So, as my own reply to your "settle down" comment, I might again say "just shut the front door if you have nothing positive to contribute. With citations.

Steve, you can either hold down the components with silicone sealant or zip ties.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 6:26 pm 

here we go again.
Please remember the originator of this thread.
Please keep the discussion focused on the issue, not petty differences of opinions

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 6:51 pm 

You are right Paul.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 7:09 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
I would keep the cover external until you are satisfied with the sound

I think it's a good idea for crossovers to be external period. Some acoustic isolation between the drivers and crossover parts can only be a good thing.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 7:19 pm 

Agree on the external crossover. That is what I did for the eggs and it helped through the four sets of changes I had to make to get to the final version. Some people would not like the external version and you have to make two additional enclosures with extra connectors although not necessarily with the acrylic bottom that I did for display at shows.

Attachments:
Crossover bottom_small.jpg
Crossover bottom_small.jpg [ 137.31 KiB | Viewed 90455 times ]

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 7:43 pm 

This is the external xover for the Maggy 3a's

Attachments:
two.jpg
two.jpg [ 191.75 KiB | Viewed 90449 times ]
Ione.jpg
Ione.jpg [ 160.02 KiB | Viewed 90449 times ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next