DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: December 31st, 2018, 4:55 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
Just remember to put inductors at right angles if there are more than one

Roger that. Inductors in parallel will "share" with each other in terms of mutual inductance. The effect on the sound is not predictable.

They should be perpendicular to each other.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2018, 5:37 pm 

Right angle and Perpendicular do not convey correct message.
One inductor should be positioned vertical and other horizontal, and axis of the inductors should not intersect, and away from metal surfaces.

Proper way of installing inductors.
http://troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm

PostPosted: January 1st, 2019, 11:45 am 

The right question to ask is if one could really hear the differences in .05 mph changes

PostPosted: January 1st, 2019, 12:42 pm 

Or just wind toroidal inductors.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2019, 1:20 pm 

I use ty-wraps to hold down components that need extra support on crossovers. You need to be careful if the capacitors your tying down don't have a firm shell, but most of those are smaller and don't usually need more support.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2019, 2:27 pm 

tomp wrote:
These boards are what I used for the egg crossovers. They come in different colors and sizes and make placement of the individual components easy. You can also drill holes at the corners for spacers and screws to mount them inside the speaker cabinets.

https://www.parts-express.com/white-per ... 7--260-190

What are the wire tabs?

PostPosted: January 1st, 2019, 3:44 pm 

The tabs are 1/4" "Faston" style spade lugs that I pulled off some old IBM equipment. They make a great way to connect the amp and drivers to the boards. I have lots if you need a few. I just drill a hole in the board and screw them down with a connecting lug under the screw. If you need to remove the boards for modifications you only have to lift the mating connectors off the lugs. You would need 1/4" female connectors to use with them and again there are tons of places on ebay that offer them at reasonable prices often with free shipping. Here is just one example of a connector with free shipping. They come in different sizes and with or without insulation. I keep a supply of male and female in different sizes both insulated and not on hand as they are always in use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Vinyl-Fema ... rk:26:pf:0

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2019, 9:45 am 

Steve,

Once you get all of the crossover parts, please measure them physically. If you send me the dimensions, I'll be happy to lay out the build in CAD to help you put them together on perf board.

Stuart

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2019, 4:56 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
The right question to ask is if one could really hear the differences in .05 mph changes

Electricity and magnetism are inseparable. Inductors are nothing but a piece of wire coiled to accumulate the magnetic forces generated by the electricity following in the wire into a single magnetic field (common poles). This accumulated magnetic field is the heart of an inductor.

The inductors in the high pass and low pass sections of the crossover work over a different frequency ranges. When the magnetic field one inductor interferes with the magnetic field of another, it creates unintended effects on the charge and discharge rates of the inductor. These charge and discharge cycles are the frequencies passing thru the inductor.

The author of that study connected the inductors in series to measure the overall effect of EM interference. It doesn’t say what the effect on the inductors is when both are operating at different frequency ranges are of different strengths.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2019, 4:58 pm 

tomp wrote:
The tabs are 1/4" "Faston" style spade lugs that I pulled off some old IBM equipment. They make a great way to connect the amp and drivers to the boards. I have lots if you need a few. I just drill a hole in the board and screw them down with a connecting lug under the screw. If you need to remove the boards for modifications you only have to lift the mating connectors off the lugs. You would need 1/4" female connectors to use with them and again there are tons of places on ebay that offer them at reasonable prices often with free shipping. Here is just one example of a connector with free shipping. They come in different sizes and with or without insulation. I keep a supply of male and female in different sizes both insulated and not on hand as they are always in use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Vinyl-Fema ... rk:26:pf:0

Or visit your local auto parts store. They will have a good selection in small quantities.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next