I think it is the same as listening.
If you like the music, it sounds good.
"In the eye/ear of the beholder.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 12:52 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
It is not about the tools, it is what you do with them

You say that to all of your women. :lol:

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 1:11 pm 

My differentiation of picture quality and artistic quality.

Core capabilities of the camera system represent the picture quality. Take two similar camera systems, shoot at the same random subject with infinity focus and develop the images. Judge the camera system by the resulting picture quality. Professional review sites provide foundation to the Camera systems core capabilities with their analysis of test pattern results.

Artistic quality of a photograph involves choosing the right camera and lens --not necessarily the camera with best picture quality, setting up the scene and shooting. This setting up the scene basically alters the reality or enhances the reality to present it in a visually pleasing way. Think of this photographer as visual director in movies.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 1:12 pm 

Although technical and artistic qualities are two different things they both add to the perceived quality of the final image. Which one is higher on the list is up to the individual but if either is woefully lacking it is very difficult to judge the image as very good.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 1:19 pm 

Cogito wrote:

Artistic quality of a photograph involves choosing the right camera and lens --not necessarily the camera with best picture quality, setting up the scene and shooting. This setting up the scene basically alters the reality or enhances the reality to present it in a visually pleasing way. Think of this photographer as visual director in movies.

To me this sounds like a technicians definition of artistic quality, not an artists.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 1:31 pm 

tomp wrote:
Cogito wrote:

To me this sounds like a technicians definition of artistic quality, not an artists.

Yes it does, on purpose because the subject at hand about shooting and post processing technologies and their contribution to the final image.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 2:02 pm 

tomp wrote:
Cogito wrote:

I wanted to try my my hand at nude photography. There was a studio near the University of Baltimore that had it all. The right backdrops -- lighting systems to enable any image possible. Experienced models that would pose for a fee. And I had my hot-rod SLR with an assortment of lenses and filters plus my trusty tripod. Two hours and two rolls of 35-mm film later I ended up with only one mediocre image. Although the model was very attractive with a sweet body I ended up with two rolls of turds.

The same thing applies to recording. You can have excellent recording equipment and expert utilization of the microphones and mixing desk to optimize the recording -- state of the art -- Yes?

Yet the recording can be an artistic and musical turd. One listen and it goes the way of the trash can.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2018, 2:07 pm 

As an interesting side note, If you are looking at different ways to achieve an artistic effect through hardware selection take a look at the Rodenstock Imagon. It is unlike any other "soft focus" lens in that the whole image is not soft. Rather the sharp part of the image created by the center part of the lens is overlayed with controllable amounts of out of focus image from the periphery of the lens. This results in a "softer" image while retaining more contrast than the typical soft focus lens. I did a number of demonstrations with this lens and it always blew away the photographers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodenstock_Imagon