DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 10th, 2016, 9:59 pm 

I'm almost finished testing the new Ultimax 18" subwoofer kit from Parts Express. It is one very impressive sub. Close miked it had the lowest distortion of any sub I have ever measured. It has the equivalent output of two of my 5 cu. ft. sealed box 15" subs. At my listening position 14 feet away, at 10 Hz and 106 dB output it measured 3% distortion, at 20 Hz 2% and at 30 Hz 0.2%. The assembled kit I received had the driver, a 1200 watt amp with DSP, stuffing, all in a very solid 4 cu. ft. box. I would buy it but I already have way to many subs. It weighs 130 lbs so it arrived by truck on a skid. I have no way to get the complete sub repackaged for truck shipment. If anyone is interested in this sub I'm sure they will entertain a reasonable offer. The unassembed and unfinished kit sells for $900. Here is a link:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-aud ... --300-7200

Otherwise I'm going to remove the driver and amp to send back to PE.

Tom

PostPosted: March 13th, 2016, 11:10 am 

Where are you located?

PostPosted: March 13th, 2016, 11:49 am 

I'm in North Potomac, MD. However, I have already disassembled and packed the driver and amp up for shipment back. My last round of testing (it is always my last because sometimes I test the units to destruction) is to determine the maximum power that the amp can supply to the specific driver in the unit at various frequencies. The test time is significant to determine if compression takes place as the driver heats up. During one of the last series of tests I damaged one of the two voice coils at sustained levels in excess of 1.300 watts (it's a great amp and the driver held up much better by far than most under that abuse). If you would like the amp and cabinet so that you could purchase a new driver I could hold the amp so that you could purchase it from them.

The box will not go back because of freight costs. They might also make a special price for the new replacement driver. BTW, Parts Express has a 5 year warranty on all products but it obviousy would not apply to the driver in this case. Please let me know if you would like to do that so I can approach them on a special price for the whole kit with a new driver. I will say that the finish on the box is much better than any finish I have done and it would be a shame to toss it but I have no use for it. The advantage of having it disassembled is you could handle it easier getting it into and out of a vehicle and setting it in the final position. I picked up all the components but not the complete unit.

Tom

PostPosted: March 13th, 2016, 12:59 pm 

Tom,

Please get a quote for me for amp+cabinet and if they can do a special for a replacement driver as well.

Thanks,

Ken

tomp wrote:
I'm in North Potomac, MD. However, I have already disassembled and packed the driver and amp up for shipment back. My last round of testing (it is always my last because sometimes I test the units to destruction) is to determine the maximum power that the amp can supply to the specific driver in the unit at various frequencies. The test time is significant to determine if compression takes place as the driver heats up. During one of the last series of tests I damaged one of the two voice coils at sustained levels in excess of 1.300 watts (it's a great amp and the driver held up much better by far than most under that abuse). If you would like the amp and cabinet so that you could purchase a new driver I could hold the amp so that you could purchase it from them.

The box will not go back because of freight costs. They might also make a special price for the new replacement driver. BTW, Parts Express has a 5 year warranty on all products but it obviousy would not apply to the driver in this case. Please let me know if you would like to do that so I can approach them on a special price for the whole kit with a new driver. I will say that the finish on the box is much better than any finish I have done and it would be a shame to toss it but I have no use for it. The advantage of having it disassembled is you could handle it easier getting it into and out of a vehicle and setting it in the final position. I picked up all the components but not the complete unit.

Tom