A place to buy and sell audio gear and parts. NOTE: There is a limit of 2MB per attachment, and a maximum of 3 attachments per message. If you need to post more than 3 attachments, just add another message.
Post a reply

Need a phono cartridge

May 18th, 2024, 2:51 pm

For my secondary system, looking for a nice cartridge, preferably high compliance, to be used in a low mass tonearm.

Stuart

Re: Need a phono cartridge

May 18th, 2024, 6:53 pm

What happened to the ADC ZLM?

May 18th, 2024, 9:16 pm

Stuart,

Give me a call. I have a few cartridges that might work for you.

I am pretty much LO MC with my setup.

David

May 18th, 2024, 10:23 pm

brombo wrote:What happened to the ADC ZLM?

I just tried it out. No treble and no bass. Removed the stylus and found no protrusion on the rear of the cantilever. I've never dealt with one of these before, but I think part of the assembly is broken in the cartridge itself.

I was very disappointed. The cartridge got great reviews.

Stuart

May 19th, 2024, 1:44 am

Take a walk on the wild side.....
I have a couple of Micro-Acoustic 3002 Direct Electret cartridges.
https://www.adelcom.net/MicroAcousticsCart1.html
https://www.dagogo.com/historically-significant-phono-cartridges-part-3-denon-adc-micro-acoustics-koetsu-stanton-dynavector-decca-ortofon/
You've heard one of them at my house with one of Charlie's phono amps.
He said "It doesn't suck." High praise indeed in this group. LOL

FWIW, it's so light that it comes with weights.

May 19th, 2024, 12:11 pm

I’ve got a brand new, never been out of the cellophane, Soundsmith Zephyr Mk III….

Roscoe

May 19th, 2024, 4:19 pm

There you go, tempting him again..... LOL

Roscoe Primrose wrote:I’ve got a brand new, never been out of the cellophane, Soundsmith Zephyr Mk III….

Roscoe

May 19th, 2024, 5:42 pm

FerdinandII wrote:There you go, tempting him again..... LOL]

:confusion-confused: What, who, me???

May 19th, 2024, 8:06 pm

Stuart,

I have three possible MM cartridges that may (or not) be of interest to you.

1. Goldring 1042
2. Audiotechica VM150 MLX
3. Shure V15 MkV with Jico SAS stylus

The Goldring and Shure have very low hours. The AT has some hours, but with a microridge stylus it should still have good life left. All track really well. The AT needs a low capacitance load for it to sound its best, I have had issues with tube phonostages and Miller capacitance (no 12AX7 input tube need apply), otherwise it really digs out the detail and is clean in the groove. The Goldring is a very musical cartridge and is still available NOS with replacement styli. Of course the Shure is well known, and Jico still has (to my knowledge) replacement styli.

As mentioned, I am pretty much LO MC low compliance cartridges in my setup right now, and likely stay that way due to my higher mass tonearm. These have been gathering dust for a few years.

P.S. the Shure I can pass on to you for cheap...Paul Clarke gave me the nude cartridge body, so the only money I put into it was the Jico SAS stylus. It is yours if you want it.

David
Post a reply