DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 1st, 2022, 3:53 pm 

Sounds like Ed, may he rest in peace.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2022, 10:21 am 

Sold them in Early November! Replaced with the NON-Altec Heathkit AS-1348 (rare - circa 1977-80) ...
Since a previous owner had swapped the original Rear-facing slot loaded Philips 15" woofers with Dayton subs,
I installed some JBL 2216Nd drivers I had on hand, and redid the faded brown cloth with new Black cloth.
(Will recap them later this winter).
Awesome combo.

hjames wrote:
Offering my Heath branded Valencias up as 2-way speakers -
Looking to downsize my living room- too many pairs of speakers!
Fairfax (city)

Attachments:
Front drivers-cluster.jpg
Front drivers-cluster.jpg [ 696.99 KiB | Viewed 4634 times ]
1348-rearSlot-Open_resize_9059.jpg
1348-rearSlot-Open_resize_9059.jpg [ 303.42 KiB | Viewed 4634 times ]
NewBlackGrills-resized_9106.jpg
NewBlackGrills-resized_9106.jpg [ 292.68 KiB | Viewed 4635 times ]

PostPosted: November 27th, 2022, 8:57 pm 

Heather,]

I have a pair (sort of...) of 1348 woofers for free. One is working, has a repair from a puncture but is refoamed and the other needs to be reconed. The are yours if you want them.

KC

PostPosted: November 28th, 2022, 11:07 am 

VERY nice, thank you, thank you!
PM sent.
kcdonahue wrote:
Heather,]

I have a pair (sort of...) of 1348 woofers for free. One is working, has a repair from a puncture but is refoamed and the other needs to be reconed. The are yours if you want them.

KC

PostPosted: January 5th, 2023, 9:10 am 

After the kind gift of drivers from KC, I went to Scavenger Sound in Glen Burnie Dec 7th. John is a pro, so I took him both of the Philips drivers I got from KC, so he'd have a comparison between the good one and the bad one. After a visual examination and test tones, he used MEK and dissolved the spider from the frame and popped the bad driver apart. He determined the voice coil is still round and may be in good shape & said he might be able to swap a spider in place and reassemble that one.
The "good one" had a tear in the cone and can be fixed fairly easily. John was backed up but I told him there was no rush on them. He called me yesterday, Jan 4th, and said he'd sorted them out!! I'll pick them up MLK Day. Bravo John!

kcdonahue wrote:
Heather,]

I have a pair (sort of...) of 1348 woofers for free. One is working, has a repair from a puncture but is refoamed and the other needs to be reconed. They are yours if you want them.

KC

Attachments:
W8-SpiderRevealed_9244 resized.jpg
W8-SpiderRevealed_9244 resized.jpg [ 172.57 KiB | Viewed 4393 times ]

PostPosted: January 5th, 2023, 10:11 pm 

hjames wrote:
... He called me yesterday, Jan 4th, and said he'd sorted them out!! I'll pick them up MLK Day. Bravo John!

Great news. Old guys rule! Be sure to check out his vintage car collection while there. Several T-Bird show cars and especially his Edsel 2 door station wagon.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2023, 4:47 pm 

And after all of that, I just sold (finally!) the Heath AS-1348 speakers last week - so I am finally thinning the herd.
I've been playing with a pair of Infinity 2000As with the 4 electrostaic tweeter panels - a fun listen, but Sunday I
hooked up the Teak JBL L212s and Volkswoofer sub for now ...
Attachment:
JBL-L212+Volks-Miles_crop_1412.jpg
JBL-L212+Volks-Miles_crop_1412.jpg [ 404.05 KiB | Viewed 3612 times ]

hjames wrote:
After the kind gift of drivers from KC, I went to Scavenger Sound in Glen Burnie Dec 7th. John is a pro, so I took him both of the Philips drivers I got from KC, so he'd have a comparison between the good one and the bad one. After a visual examination and test tones, he used MEK and dissolved the spider from the frame and popped the bad driver apart. He determined the voice coil is still round and may be in good shape & said he might be able to swap a spider in place and reassemble that one.
The "good one" had a tear in the cone and can be fixed fairly easily. John was backed up but I told him there was no rush on them. He called me yesterday, Jan 4th, and said he'd sorted them out!! I'll pick them up MLK Day. Bravo John!

kcdonahue wrote:
Heather,]

I have a pair (sort of...) of 1348 woofers for free. One is working, has a repair from a puncture but is refoamed and the other needs to be reconed. They are yours if you want them.

KC