DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: June 14th, 2021, 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

The USBridge sig. has separate USB & Ethernet chipsets on the board the compute module plugs into. CPU utilization when playing DSD128 is about 10% (no transcoding being done). I'm seeing the exact same symptoms on an rPi 3B, albeit with lower CPU temps. I have my doubts about I/O limiting, 24/196 requires more bandwidth than DSD64, and it works fine.

Roscoe

PostPosted: June 14th, 2021, 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Grover Gardner wrote:
Well, we didn't even get that far. Just getting it set up was too much for him.

What DAC and software player are you using? I don't have any problem connecting to any of the web guis.

Only DAC I have that does native DSD in a Manhattan II. Player is Audirvana on a Mac Mini.

Quote:
DietPi uses GMRenderer as the renderer, and it won't do DSD on the Allo. Gentooplayer works fine but it isn't free, though you can get a free trial. Moode Audio works okay, IIRC. I'll do some tests this evening. Volumio *used* to work fine but the new distro won't recognize the clean USB output. I'll dig around and see if I can find an older distro that works.

I couldn't get sound out of DietPi with GMRenderer, which is why I installed upmpdcli on top of MPD.

Quote:
So, yes, it's a bit frustrating. It's the ethernet drivers required for the Allo board that are the main problem. A standard RPi distro won't work very well. The Gentooplayer developer works very hard to accomodate the Allo and has a specific build for it.

I'll play around a bit more tonight.

DietPi has a specific build for Allo as well. It has Ethernet driver 2.0.0, which is supposed to work fine according to the Allo docs.

Roscoe

PostPosted: June 14th, 2021, 4:36 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
Grover Gardner wrote:
Well, we didn't even get that far. Just getting it set up was too much for him.

What DAC and software player are you using? I don't have any problem connecting to any of the web guis.

Only DAC I have that does native DSD in a Manhattan II. Player is Audirvana on a Mac Mini.

Quote:
DietPi uses GMRenderer as the renderer, and it won't do DSD on the Allo. Gentooplayer works fine but it isn't free, though you can get a free trial. Moode Audio works okay, IIRC. I'll do some tests this evening. Volumio *used* to work fine but the new distro won't recognize the clean USB output. I'll dig around and see if I can find an older distro that works.

I couldn't get sound out of DietPi with GMRenderer, which is why I installed upmpdcli on top of MPD.

Quote:
So, yes, it's a bit frustrating. It's the ethernet drivers required for the Allo board that are the main problem. A standard RPi distro won't work very well. The Gentooplayer developer works very hard to accomodate the Allo and has a specific build for it.

I'll play around a bit more tonight.

DietPi has a specific build for Allo as well. It has Ethernet driver 2.0.0, which is supposed to work fine according to the Allo docs.

Roscoe

So as of now, using Audirvana and my Doge 7 DAC, which is DoP, I can get dsd64 iso's playing smoothly with Volumio's latest build (i had another Pi in the bedroom running Volumio and got the two mixed up) and Gentooplayer. Moode is acting funny and there are pauses and restarts in the playback, don't know why. I'll google the issue if I can.

I probably have some dsd128 around somewhere, or can download something and test that.

ETA: Okay, I lied. For Volumio I had to go to their website and get a previous 2020 build:
http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/

PostPosted: June 15th, 2021, 9:41 am 
Site Admin

I haven't tried DOP yet, I'll give that a try tonight....

Roscoe

PostPosted: June 16th, 2021, 3:20 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:

Roscoe

DoP will downgrade the Audio Quality. Its an old interim/patch standard to transmit DSD data to DAC when the DSD interfaces were not readily available. Now, all DACs are capable of doing DSD native.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2021, 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Cogito wrote:
Roscoe Primrose wrote:

Roscoe

DoP will downgrade the Audio Quality. Its an old interim/patch standard to transmit DSD data to DAC when the DSD interfaces were not readily available. Now, all DACs are capable of doing DSD native.

Citation?

PostPosted: June 16th, 2021, 3:33 pm 

Cogito wrote:

Well, my Chord M Scalar/DAVE does not do DSD directly through the USB interface, it relies on DoP.

David

PostPosted: June 16th, 2021, 3:34 pm 

Motivation for Developing DoP standard:

Quote:
The manufactuers developing audio playback software want to minimize the number of formats they need to support for a USB link. Ideally there is only a single such format. Likewise hardware manufacturers want to make their hardware compatible with as many playback platforms as possible. That, of course, only happens when all use the same format. As mentioned above, USB Audio already supports a “raw data” format that could be used for DSD and that would create a clear separation to any audio data path containing PCM. However, the latest release of Apple’s operating system OS 10.7 incorporates a USB driver that only supports PCM. Furthermore, the central audio engine, CoreAudio, inside the OS only supports PCM as well, luckily with no limitation on sample rate. (earlier versions supported a mode that was compatible with raw data mode, but that is history). Since the architecture of Apple’s OS forces audio software developers to use CoreAudio for everything audio related there is basically only 1 format left for the Mac platform: PCM. Creating a separate path for DSD would involve a lot of surgery if it is even possible. So we have no choice, but to use a PCM path to transfer DSD audio by using special flags or headers that allow the receiving hardware to detect a format change and switch their decoder accordingly.

Lot more good info here:
https://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard

PostPosted: June 16th, 2021, 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Cogito wrote:

Nothing in there indicates reduced quality over native DSD....

Roscoe

PostPosted: June 16th, 2021, 3:48 pm 

Sound quality is a subjective matter. If you have a DAC that supports Nativs DSD and DoP, we can evaluate them on Saturday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next