DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 8th, 2021, 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: December 9th, 2020, 3:15 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 10:38 am
Posts: 1413
So, while the rest of you were arguing about guns & who has the best geriatric friendly exercise program, I built an amp. Yes, AN amp, can't find the parts to build a matching channel using the same parts... Mouser here I come ;)

Image

Dead quiet, and gain is pretty low, but definitely worth building a second one, will give another update when I get the other one built...

Roscoe

_________________
I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 9th, 2020, 3:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: January 14th, 2015, 11:15 pm
Posts: 429
Interesting. What made you go for the 6V6 input?

ray


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 9th, 2020, 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: July 24th, 2015, 4:17 pm
Posts: 1354
Location: Parkville, Maryland
Roscoe Primrose wrote:
So, while the rest of you were arguing about guns & who has the best geriatric friendly exercise program, I built an amp. Yes, AN amp, can't find the parts to build a matching channel using the same parts... Mouser here I come ;)

Image

Dead quiet, and gain is pretty low, but definitely worth building a second one, will give another update when I get the other one built...

Roscoe

Hmmmm. Do I see some David Berning thinking in this piece? Just a note -- if you have room for 100-ufd film caps (50-wvdc would do fine) you can use them for the cathode bypasses and they will take you down to about 6-Hz. and provide speed where those giant 3,000-ufd caps will slow it down. Here is an interesting example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAP-FILM-100UF ... SwB6RevXiu

_________________
Walt


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 9th, 2020, 3:51 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 10:38 am
Posts: 1413
ratbagp wrote:
Interesting. What made you go for the 6V6 input?

ray


The screen grid current on the 6550 is about 5mA, and varies with drive voltage. I wanted something with enough standing plate current that the variations in 6550 screen grid current wouldn't create too much of a problem. I'm actually using 6005s right now, which are industrial 6AQ5s. 6V6s will drop right in, but of course you'll need a different socket.

Roscoe

_________________
I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 9th, 2020, 3:53 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 10:38 am
Posts: 1413
SoundMods wrote:
Hmmmm. Do I see some David Berning thinking in this piece? Just a note -- if you have room for 100-ufd film caps (50-wvdc would do fine) you can use them for the cathode bypasses and they will take you down to about 6-Hz. and provide speed where those giant 3,000-ufd caps will slow it down. Here is an interesting example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAP-FILM-100UF ... SwB6RevXiu


I don't generally worry about parts quality until I've gone through the parts value shakeout...

Roscoe

_________________
I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 9th, 2020, 3:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: July 24th, 2015, 4:17 pm
Posts: 1354
Location: Parkville, Maryland
Roscoe Primrose wrote:
SoundMods wrote:
Hmmmm. Do I see some David Berning thinking in this piece? Just a note -- if you have room for 100-ufd film caps (50-wvdc would do fine) you can use them for the cathode bypasses and they will take you down to about 6-Hz. and provide speed where those giant 3,000-ufd caps will slow it down. Here is an interesting example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAP-FILM-100UF ... SwB6RevXiu


I don't generally worry about parts quality until I've gone through the parts value shakeout...

Roscoe

Got it. I have done the same thing -- first make it work -- then make sound good. :violin:

_________________
Walt


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 9th, 2020, 4:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: January 14th, 2015, 11:15 pm
Posts: 429
Is there any sonic or power advantage to screen drive or is it just a case of doing something different for the fun of it?

ray


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 9th, 2020, 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: January 15th, 2015, 7:19 am
Posts: 1367
Location: Baltimore MD
why can you get away with no coupling cap


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 9th, 2020, 6:35 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 10:38 am
Posts: 1413
ratbagp wrote:
Is there any sonic or power advantage to screen drive or is it just a case of doing something different for the fun of it?

ray



Paul got close to it. If you direct couple to the control grid, then if you want the output tube to operate at the same conditions, you have to either:

1: use separate supplies for the driver and output tube and stack the power supplies. or

2: Raise the B+ by 250V, raise the cathode by a corresponding 250V by increasing the cathode bias resistor, which will now be dissipating 22W; Increase the value of the driver plate load and screen grid resistors to get the voltages back where they were, or figure out another way to get the driver voltages where they need to be.

Roscoe

_________________
I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 9th, 2020, 6:40 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 10:38 am
Posts: 1413
SoundMods wrote:
Just a note -- if you have room for 100-ufd film caps (50-wvdc would do fine) you can use them for the cathode bypasses and they will take you down to about 6-Hz. and provide speed where those giant 3,000-ufd caps will slow it down.


I went back and did the math. To get a 5Hz F3 for the driver, the cathode bypass would need to be 220uf, for the 6550, it'd need to be 360uf... I used the first thing I found that I was sure was big enough ;)

Roscoe

_________________
I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group