DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 28th, 2020, 8:37 am 

Four weeks from now, my wife and I should be commencing our first night of a compulsory two week quarantine in a luxury hotel in Sydney. Our house is under contract and the stuff we will have shipped to our new abode will leave on Friday week.

I had been hoping that there would be another meet before I leave so that I could bring the audio stuff that I don't absolutely need in Australia but understandably the virus will prevent that. It would be helpful if somebody who plans to hold a meet volunteers to store the stuff until the all-clear is sounded. Since I live in North East MD, I don't want to drive any further than the northern suburbs of Washington. I would need to drop off the stuff prior to Monday, July 20. I am retired so any day of the week works for me.

I will post photos later in the week but expect to see the large toroid isolation transformer (which is promised to someone in the group), some 115 volt power transformers, motor run caps, and an organ amp. There will also be several 3" to 6" loudspeakers. There will probably be other goodies as well.

In addition, I will need to get rid of about 4 wine boxes of classical music LPs.

There will be no charge for these items but I would prefer that they are taken by those of us who can use them.

My health continues to be good and I have no trouble walking a couple of miles, standing up from seats and lifting heavy objects. From what I hear and read, all the immunoglobulin that is infused into my veins each month probably provides some protection against the virus.

ray

PostPosted: June 28th, 2020, 10:38 am 

Ray,

I would be interested in motor run caps, the organ amp and some transformers and possibly classical lp's but don't want to be greedy... I could possibly pickup/hold things if needed, since I live somewhat close but work in Arlington Va two or three days a week. I often schlep stuff back and forth and as long as folks can meet on my schedule in Arlington (Rosslyn) this is pretty easy as I have to drive that way anyhow.

KC

PostPosted: June 28th, 2020, 2:25 pm 

KC has kindly volunteered. More later when I have stuff organized.

ray

PostPosted: June 28th, 2020, 3:34 pm 

Do you have any 5 inch woofers?

PostPosted: June 28th, 2020, 5:11 pm 

I'm not sure but I think not, I will put a list together by the end of the week.

ray

PostPosted: June 29th, 2020, 9:36 am 

Safe Travels Ray! We will miss having you around. If I ever do make it to that part of the world, I'll look you up.

-Pete

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 4:40 pm 

ratbagp wrote:
I'm not sure but I think not, I will put a list together by the end of the week.

ray

It is an odd size, but I appreciate it. Could also use tweeters/small horns.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 5:52 pm 

There will be more goodies than I anticipated. Hopefully I will get the list together this weekend.

ray

PostPosted: July 4th, 2020, 8:33 pm 

On a side note: who has to pay for the hotel?

Either way, get your money's worth. Sleep in. Watch TV. Take a good, hot shower or bath. Enjoy your forced staycation.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2020, 9:44 pm 

I dropped off the stuff with KC this afternoon and he has organized it in boxes already. I got a brief tour of his stash and it put mine to shame. Anyhow, this is the list.

http://audioratbag.blogspot.com/2020/07/stuff-to-give-away.html

To answer the question about the hotel costs, it depends on the state you live in. Queensland and Victoria charge roughly US $2500 per couple for the room and food. I am flying into Sydney in New South Wales and currently there is no charge. Fortunately, I have a bank account that has my daughter's Sydney address so I can claim NSW residency. All this might change in the next three weeks.

Personally I believe that there should be no charge. The cost of the quarantine program is chump change compared to the cost of the virus escaping into the community. This has just happened in Melbourne where the state goverment hired a private contractor to provide security ensuring that the inmates stay in their rooms and obey all the rules. Apparently, the contractor did not supply sufficient training and there were numerous infractions including interaction between an inmate and a guard which presumably involved a bed. The guard became infected and duly passed the virus on. There have been outbreaks all over Melbourne with various suburbs now under lockdown. The cost will be enormous.

Meanwhile, the rest of Australia is now opening up gradually. It's possible to have a beer in a pub with a few mates. Some state borders are still closed but are planned to open later this month.

ray