DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 16th, 2019, 3:22 pm 

Hey all, you may want to hold off purchasing this table just yet. A recent post from Schiits's Jason Stoddard,

"Okay, so here's the deal: we dun phucked up. We should have done a beta.

Soooooo...let's do a beta.

Soon, all Sol owners will be getting an email that goes something like this:

Okay, so it looks like the Sol launch has uncovered a lot more problems than we expected. Please accept our apologies for any trouble you may have had. We want this to be a really exceptional turntable, so we're putting a pause on sales.

We're also making you the following offer: please keep your Sol and help us improve it.

If you choose to do so, we'll refund $300 of the Sol's original price, making your cost $499. Then, we will send you a selected set of updates and changes to improve your Sol. Also, if you have any functional problems right now (like wobbling platters), we will swap those parts as well. And, at the end of the beta period, if you still aren't happy, we'll refund the rest of your purchase price.

Alternately, if you're just done with Sol right now, that's fine too. Contact us for an RA and we will refund 100% of your purchase price, taxes and shipping when we receive it back.

We sincerely hope you'll help us make Sol what it should be. If not, we completely understand.
​
So, yeah, I hope you stick with it. We're going to be doing everything we need to make this right, up to and including flying out Conrad to help us in real time. When we know a bit more, we can start sending updates to the beta testers. With luck, we'll be able to address the problems you've had and start shipping again within a month or two. If not, it might take a little longer. And when we relaunch, we'll make sure every turntable is pre-set-up for a "typical" cartridge, and there will be a standard cartridge option.

Again, apologies for the stupidity"

David McGown wrote:
Regarding wobble, the initial assembly of loosening the bearing cap (thrust plate), attaching to the bearing to the platter and inserting the platter assembly onto the bearing shaft DID show alot of wobble when the platter was spun. But this was before re-tightening the bearing cap. At the end of the video, the only wobble I noticed was due to the record surface itself, the platter appeared to run fairly true with minimal runout.

It does look like a nicely made turntable for the money. Usually one would like to have a bit more platter thickness using aluminum, because thicker aluminum is better damped (less ringing). But one can always add damping to the bottom of the platter (Mortite, modeling clay, etc.)

David

PostPosted: September 16th, 2019, 6:38 pm 

Oops

PostPosted: September 16th, 2019, 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

Pelliott321 wrote:
Oops

At least they're apparently trying to do right by their customers...

Roscoe

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2019, 5:01 pm 

What other analog choices are there at that price point?

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2019, 5:56 pm 

Actually, quite a few choices, if willing to consider used. There are a lot of classic direct drive turntables available on Ebay. Besides the ubiquitous Technics SL-1200, there are Denon, JVC (Victor), and others (Micro Seiki, Luxman, Kenwood). These were dismissed by audiophiles when the Linn craze started, but the higher end models were often pretty decent decks. The power supplies may need to be recapped, so either find one that has been serviced or factor that in to the price. We are talking around $400-$700 price range, and they were considered high-end in their day, but there is also a lot of junk out there as well, so beware.

If you want belt drive, the classic Thorens turntables are a good option. Not nearly as good as a Linn, but can be tweeked. A suspended table provided better isolation once it is tuned up properly.

If you are looking new, then the Pioneer PLX-1000 is a SL-1200 clone that got some good press. Understand that the Denon DJ deck is decent as well.

Rega turntables always seemed to be unwhelming to me, I don't know, they are so simply made (slab of MDF for the plinth, simple motor system, glass platter, decent tonearm though, no suspension.

These are just a few possibilities.