DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 17th, 2022, 11:23 pm 

Angela Instruments is offering a pair of Response 2's for $450, pickup only (or I'd buy them!). Woofer surrounds are shot, but I have an extra pair of the Scanspeaks I'd be willing to part with for a very reasonable price, which I bought before they became unobtainium. Wonderful speakers--those who came to my house way back when know how nice, musical and DIY-friendly they are. Play nicely with SE 300B. Seemless soundstage and they do everything well.

https://reverb.com/item/46495484-proac- ... eplacement

PostPosted: February 17th, 2022, 11:33 pm 

PS I paid $170 for the Scanspeaks, happy to sell them for that plus shipping. World class speaks for $650! Just sayin'...

PostPosted: February 17th, 2022, 11:35 pm 

PPS BUT you need *really* good stands, FIY.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2022, 11:57 pm 

Are those hex bolts stock....?

PostPosted: February 18th, 2022, 9:15 am 

Eww, and cheap hex bolts at that. Replacing them with black anodized recessed hex socket (Allen head) bolts would be an easy change.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2022, 9:26 am 

Yup, those are stock. And if the drivers have been fiddled with a lot they can strip the retainer clips. But mine have held steady in both pairs. The drivers are very easy to swap out.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2022, 10:30 am 

There ARE surround replacement kits available, should one want to go that route (and allow Grover to keep his backup set of drivers that he generously offered). I have done this before on a pair of 15" drivers (paper cone) with success, the biggest issue is removal/cleanup of the old surround. With a poly cone, it should be much easier to clean up. So long as the spider is in good shape maintaining centering of the voice coil in the gap, it is not a precise job, you can get good alignment working methodically by eye. Surrounds are cheap, you can get an extra pair just in case you mess up. If you are DIY inclined (well, why are you ON this board if not), it would be a good project.

David

PostPosted: February 18th, 2022, 3:31 pm 

Worth $450 just for those nice Rosewood veneered cabinets.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2022, 6:13 pm 

I remember Grover's system from back then, very nice sounding. Although his amps probably had something to do with that too. I had no idea Angela Instruments moved from Annapolis to Kensington. Back when I heard Grover's ProAcs, I was probably listening to an EL34 Jolida Integrated (modded with caps from Angela Instruments) amp hooked up to Totom Model Ones or Spendor 2/3s. I thought my JJ blue glass EL34s were so cool. :lol:

My Jolida had the same smell that vintage english convertibles have, a mixture of dust, oil, leather and mold.