DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 15th, 2022, 4:28 pm 

I am putting my Basszilla Platinum Edition Mk II open baffle speaker for sale. If you remember one of the early CAF shows (2011), we had these speakers setup in a DCAudioDIY room.

The design is by Dick Olsher, cabinetry by Dave McGown. It is a high efficiency (97db/1W) open baffle with the 8" wide range driver and ribbon tweeter, assisted by 15" LF driver in a 7 cu ft ported bass cabinet.

The project can be found on Dick Olsher's "BlackDahlia" website, starting at the following:

http://blackdahlia.com/html/tip_43.html

There are several articles on the site, including one discussing my speakers:

http://www.blackdahlia.com/html/tip_78.html

Drivers consist of:

Fostex FE208ESigma 8" wide range ($300 each at Madisound) (270 Hz to 4.5 kHz)
Aurum Cantus G2 ribbon tweeter ($147 each at Parts Express) (above 4.5 kHz)
Audax 15" Pro driver (no longer available) (below 270 Hz) - Note the bass cabinet is based on the original MK1 design, which was changed when Audax stopped making the driver. It gets a solid 40 Hz in the bass cabinets.

These speakers work wonderfully with a 300B SET amplifier, Dick Olsher voiced the speakers specifically for this type of amp. He continues to use this with an updated bass driver and cabinet design as his personal reference.

I am asking $900 or best offer, which is basically the cost of the drivers (excepting the bass drivers).

David

Attachments:
basszilla.jpg
basszilla.jpg [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 3096 times ]

PostPosted: July 15th, 2022, 4:35 pm 

David McGown wrote:

These speakers work wonderfully with a 300B SET amplifier, Dick Olsher voiced the speakers specifically for this type of amp. He continues to use this with an updated bass driver and cabinet design as his personal reference.

I am asking $900 or best offer, which is basically the cost of the drivers (excepting the bass drivers).

David

I heard these gems when visiting David during the mini-meet on July 5th. They're coherent and musical and worth every penny of the asking price of $900. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

PostPosted: July 15th, 2022, 8:39 pm 

Very inexpensive way to get into a SET amp friendly speaker, especially one that goes 40hz to above 20khz!

PostPosted: July 16th, 2022, 7:46 am 

I should like to add two things:

1. I should have said "Local Pickup" only...these are too large to ship.
2. Even though they work with SET amplifiers, a PP triode amplifier or a Class A solid state amp work as well. I found that a PP 2A3 amp provides a bit more control that SET (but a SET works just fine). Dick Olsher is a fan of the Nelson Pass "First Watt" amps using this design. He has even reviewed Dave Berning's ZH-230 amp in Absolute Sound. (Feb 2011).

David