DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2018, 6:23 pm 

Used but in great condition. USB cables are obviously wear items and must be regularly replaced as they wear out but this one has many, many years of use left! A sturdy, well constructed cable that sounds like a ........... a decent USB cable. Cable construction is flat and it was manufactured in Japan.

$25

Actual cable being sold:

Here is a review of this cable which is worth a giggle or two:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/article ... le/?page=2

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2018, 12:23 pm 

That's an Oyaide! I bought one too, based on that review. It's actually pretty good--very smooth and sweet, with a more forward presentation than my other cables. I don't use it as much because there a bit of "sameness" to the sound from recording to recording, but it's very pleasant and musical. If you're looking for an upgrade to stock USB cables it's a good deal.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2018, 2:26 pm 

Hey Grover!

You are right about the sound. I hear it as a midrangey cable with good bass, maybe it homogenizes things a bit but certainly a step-up over a standard UDB cable. I am currently using a wireworld USB cable that has a bit more sparkle on top that suites my rolled off horns and SET amps!

I hear a remarkably small difference between the two cables but since I just acquired the WireWorld cable, I figured I better use it!

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2018, 3:35 pm 

The Wireworld is interesting, a bit too forward on top for my system but I can see why you like it. Have you tried Supra?

PostPosted: March 24th, 2018, 12:12 am 

I use Supra Cat8 ethernet from optical box to router and then from router to laptop. Tonally/timbre spot on, rich/full sounding. Great for the money!

I reluctantly have to admit that USB cables all sound different just like line level/speaker cables. Have not tried many USB cables in my system. My old DAC did not need the 5v leg active so I disabled that run in cheaper USB cables. But my new DAC needs the 5v for initial handshake so the somewhat isolated 5v design of the WireWorld USB cables appealed to me.

How does the Supra USB sound?

PostPosted: March 24th, 2018, 11:06 am 

I find the Supra very transparent, with lots of ambient information that puts each recording in it's proper context, for better or for worse. It won't come to the rescue of a poor digital recording but it will let a good recording shine. I would describe it pretty much the way you describe the Cat8. For about $60 including shipping from Poland, I think it's hard to beat. You can get a 1 meter on eBay.