DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bob Olson Introduction
PostPosted: August 4th, 2013, 8:48 am 

Hello All :wave: I've been around for some time and it's about time I introduced myself.

Many a year ago I put together a Heathkit stereo preamp and stereo amp and then later built an amplifier from scratch - and so ended my active DIY phase. Then life got busy and as my system evolved it shifted to commercial gear, but I'd developed a real appreciation for DIY gear. Then life got really busy and I dropped out of audio altogether for about two decades. When I finally got back into it in the 1990s, I wanted to go toward the high end. Now some of the best equipment in my "mature" system is DIY - many thanks to members of this community - even though I didn't build it myself. I have 845-based monoblock amps built by Grover Gardner, the only existing twins to the amps many of you have heard at Dave Pogue's house. I also have a fabulous phono preamp built by Charlie Phelps, a twin of the one Charlie uses himself. Since I'm not an active DIYer, just an "appreciator", I may only qualify for mascot status, but I really like the folks here, and may yet be inspired to pull out the old soldering iron. Bob Olson

PostPosted: August 5th, 2013, 2:58 pm 

Greetings, Bob,

THanks for your support in the past, too! We'll see you at a meeting?

PostPosted: August 5th, 2013, 5:44 pm 

Bob, I am still looking forward to coming over and see the frankenstein system with the Coincident amps and speakers, just been too busy with school of late...

PostPosted: August 5th, 2013, 10:09 pm 

My wife and I spend May through October in Maine, but I'm around for meetings during the other half of the year. We just came back to VA for the birth of a new granddaughter and the timing just happened to coincide with the Capital Audiofest, the first one I've been able to attend. The DIY room was definitely the friendliest place there as well as sounding better than a lot of megabuck systems.