Switch to full style
New users MUST post an introduction here to gain full membership
Post a reply

Re: DC audio fan - with an ALTEC project

December 27th, 2017, 1:44 pm

J-ROB wrote:
Besides, I did my homework before I gave him my home address - :D

Don't worry, I cased the joint while I was there and you don't have anything I want! :twisted:

edit-- on second thought, those UREIs would look nice in my TV system...

Ahhh - you were in a hurry and didn't even listen to the UREIs ...
But they do LOOK nice :)

December 29th, 2017, 8:12 am

There are 2 pairs of those UREI 809A (front mains & side surrounds) in our multimedia/HT/TV room - ...
We do like the sound of them, and the efficiency - and we have a JBL 18 Pro sub hiding in the right corner to carry the low end ...

UREI-HT_2015-9400-halfsize.jpg

December 29th, 2017, 11:08 am

hjames wrote:There are 2 pairs of those UREI 809A (front mains & side surrounds) in our multimedia/HT/TV room - ...
We do like the sound of them, and the efficiency - and we have a JBL 18 Pro sub hiding in the right corner to carry the low end ...

Where are your Altecs?

December 29th, 2017, 11:21 am

SoundMods wrote:
hjames wrote:There are 2 pairs of those UREI 809A (front mains & side surrounds) in our multimedia/HT/TV room - ...

The attachment UREI-HT_2015-9400-halfsize.jpg is no longer available

Where are your Altecs?

Oh, the Altecs are upstairs in the living room with my 2 channel tube system -
Taking measurements to install connector cups and considering installing wheels.
I'm currently using some JBL L212 speakers I rebuilt last year, and have an old pair of Von Schweikert VR-4s on the outer edges.

That system is a Jolida 502 CRC integrated amp, Carver tuner and (ancient) Oppo DV981 disc player -
Plus a Denon Dp-45 record player I bought new in '88, and an Airport express so I can stream lossless files from the macpro in my office.
Roughly 60w/ch from a quad of Gold Lion KT-88s

ALTEC-empty_5730.jpg

Tube-gear_5732.jpg

December 29th, 2017, 11:58 am

I used to have the horn bug and lusted after Klipschorns, but never had a room with two good corners. Good luck on your quest.

In the early 70's I built some speakers (stereo then with a center fill channel). Each of the main speakers had 2 Altec 411-8a woofers, 511B horn + 808-8a drivers, Altec 3000H horn tweeter (back then I could actually hear it). I had a home made electronic crossover using 741 op-amps (I didn't know then that ac op-amps would have been better). The center channel was all Electo-Voice drivers (15 inch woofer, mid-range diffraction horn, and a diffraction horn tweeter). I don't remember the parts anymore. All three channels had the 3-way electronic crossovers. The amplifiers were kits from SWTP (Southwest Technical Products), the preamp a Crown IC150, and the turntable a Empire 598 with a Shure cartridge. Roscoe has all the Altec horn hardware of mine unless he has passed it on. Those were the good old days. I still build speaker kits but not electronics anymore. Eras change and know I concentrate on digital signal processing for crossovers. My current and future system consists of -

Current Audio Visual System:

Subwoofer (Two subwoofers):
Dayton Audio SPA1000 1000W Subwoofer plate amplifier
Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 18" reference HO subwoofer 4 ohm
Denovo 4 cubic foot cabinet.

Main Speakers (Stero Pair Bi-Amplified):
CBT36K Line Array Speaker Pair Kit
Emotiva XPA-4 Gen 3 Amp (4 channels, 350 W per channel)
miniDSP 2x4 HD (dsp crossover)

Preamp:
Emotiva UMC-200

HTPC:
Old:
Ubuntu 16.04 (operating system)
Kodi 17.4 (media server)
AMD AD3850JAHMBOX 3850 Quad-Core Socket AM1 1.3 GHz APU Processor
Asus M4A88T-M Motherboard
EVGA GeForce GT 740 2GB GDDR3 DVI/HDM/VGA Low Profile Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2740-KR

Cable Tuner:
SilconDust HD HomeRun Prime
Verizon FIOS

Projector:
Optoma HD25e

Screen:
Elite Screens Sable Frame, 120-inch 16:9, Fixed Frame Home Theater Projection Projector Screen, ER120WH1

Next Audio Visual System:

Main Speakers (Stero Pair Tri-Amplified):
CBT36K Line Array Speaker Pair Kit
Emotiva XPA-4 Gen 3 Amp (4 channels, 350 W per channel)
Dayton Audio SPA1000 1000W Subwoofer plate amplifier
Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 18" reference HO subwoofer 4 ohm
Denovo 4 cubic foot cabinet.

DAC (3 alternatives):
Emotiva UMC-200 (hdmi audio input)
Xonar D2 (pci audio card)
SewellSoundbox Pro External 24 bit 192 KHz Audio, 7.1 Channels SW-30415 (usb input)

HTPC:
Gigabyte AM3+ AMD DDR3 1333 760G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Motherboard GA-78LMT-USB3
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition
EVGA GeForce GT 740 2GB GDDR3 DVI/HDM/VGA Low Profile Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2740-KR
Ubuntu 16.04 (operating system)
Kodi 17.4 (media server)
Ecasound 2.9.1 (dsp crossover software)

Cable Tuner:
SilconDust HD HomeRun Prime
Verizon FIOS

Projector:
Optoma HD25e

Screen:
Elite Screens Sable Frame, 120-inch 16:9, Fixed Frame Home Theater Projection Projector Screen, ER120WH1

man_cave1.jpg

December 29th, 2017, 11:58 am

hjames wrote:
SoundMods wrote:

Where are your Altecs?

Oh, the Altecs are upstairs in the living room with my 2 channel tube system -
Taking measurements to install connector cups and considering installing wheels.
I'm currently using some JBL L212 speakers I rebuilt last year, and have an old pair of Von Schweikert VR-4s on the outer edges.

That system is a Jolida 502 CRC integrated amp, Carver tuner and (ancient) Oppo DV981 disc player -
Plus a Denon Dp-45 record player I bought new in '88, and an Airport express so I can stream lossless files from the macpro in my office.

ALTEC-empty_5730.jpg

Tube-gear_5732.jpg

ZOWIE! You could open a vintage audio shop! LOL!

December 29th, 2017, 12:05 pm

SoundMods wrote:Where are your Altecs?
hjames wrote:Oh, the Altecs are upstairs in the living room with my 2 channel tube system -

ZOWIE! You could open a vintage audio shop! LOL!

I do have some spares on a shelf in the basement ... ;)
JBL 2214s on the left - they look like they might drop into the routed holes on the front of the ALTEC Model 15 cabinets,
and a spare pair of drivers for the UREI 809s - tho I need to refoam them when it gets warm again ...
(based on the same JBL woofers) - those woofers were used in the JBL L100T3 speakers and others.
Anyway, I might use the 2214s as placeholders in the Model 15s until I find some ALTEC woofers for a reasonable fee ...

JBL-12inch_5729.jpg

December 29th, 2017, 12:30 pm

I actually grew these over a 7 year period - they started as JBL 4320's I won on eBay, then I found the nicer looking L200 cabinets, I upgraded those with some 077/2405 slot tweeters and fresh crossovers, then I played with some grey JBL smith horns, like the sound so much I had a (nicer looking) pair of Walnut horns built, moved the slot tweeters out of the cabinets, upgraded the horns to JBL 2" pro drivers - then got a great offer and sold the whole dealio off in late 2015...

L200-TopSlots_7472.jpg

December 29th, 2017, 12:41 pm

hjames wrote:I actually grew these over a 7 year period - they started as JBL 4320's I won on eBay, then I found the nicer looking L200 cabinets, I upgraded those with some 077/2405 slot tweeters and fresh crossovers, then I played with some grey JBL smith horns, like the sound so much I had a (nicer looking) pair of Walnut horns built, moved the slot tweeters out of the cabinets, upgraded the horns to JBL 2" pro drivers - then got a great offer and sold the whole dealio off in late 2015...

L200-TopSlots_7472.jpg

YIKES! You are a genuine U.S. Government inspected Rabid Audiophile!! :crazy:

December 29th, 2017, 4:36 pm

Okay - just got back from a Home Depot run - bought and installed wheels,and some Parts-express banana cups on the bottoms. Now they're easy to move about!

ALTEC-Wheels_5734.jpg

hjames wrote:
The attachment ALTEC-empty_5730.jpg is no longer available

The attachment Tube-gear_5732.jpg is no longer available
Post a reply