DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 4:21 pm 

That US from Poland is well priced, less than $300 shipped but based on my trials it will not work as well as a less than Spinclean, with multiple cleanings

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 5:04 pm 

Library of Congress (home of the National Audio-Visual Conservation Center) uses wet vacuum type cleaners or hand wash with Tergitol 15-S-7 and deionized water but one representative stated they are considering ultrasonic cleaner too.

Pelliott321 wrote:
Its the same tank but in a nice case
I had a long talk with Greg Viggano whom I met at CAF. He is working with American U in their Vinyl archive developing a cleaning solution and methods for their library.
He told me the problem with all the LP ultrasonic cleaners out there, is that the LP's are moving through the solution and this disrupts the micro-bubbles. If you think about it, when hospitals, jewelry, watch makers clean their stuff it is not moving through the solution, so the cleaning action can work unimpeded.
That $4k machine works because it has rollers scrubbing the surface of the record. That's what cleans the records not the US.
Greg gave me a sample of their cleaning solution, and I found it not any better than my soup.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 7:51 pm 

read this about cleaning solution
https://cen.acs.org/articles/94/i24/Groovy-chemistry-materials-science-behind.html
I will be trying tergitol 15-s-7 with deionized water very soon

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 9:47 pm 

[quote="Pelliott321"]MSG
I use my own mix which is the standard 3 parts distilled, 1 part 90% isopropyl and a few drops of Kodak Photoflo

I'm using the same formula 3:1:few drops. Now I'm wondering if I'm adding water, why I can't use 70% IPA as it's easier to find?

PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 6:12 am 

I have thought about that also, but since my local CVS caries the 90% I use that

PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 8:43 am 

A record cleaner can work miracles with used vinyl as long as the record has not been damaged from a bad stylus or playing it on a less-than-adequate record player.

I have found some major finds at Good Will and antique shops that when cleaned (I have an ultrasonic cleaner) they play like NOS.

That said -- you do not get the maximum out of what vinyl can deliver thinking that you only need Dual turntable and a Shure cartridge thinking that you're good to go.

No -- not even close. But at the same time there are plenty of fine turntables and high-end cartridges on the used market that have the "chops" to deliver the goods.

Add to that list a good phono stage with the interconnects (the variables are too numerous to mention) that work best in your system to deliver the music that is contained in those delicate grooves and you sit back and enjoy. :D

PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 8:10 pm 

Do you think it's worth spending $25/gal for deionized water over $2/gal for distilled

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 10:00 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:
Do you think it's worth spending $25/gal for de-ionized water over $2/gal for distilled

Only if you're going to perform Orthopedic surgery and need an absolutely pure water supply. Distilled water is bottled from the condensate generated from boiling water.

It contains none of the mineral solids or disinfectants contained in the original potable water used to provide the bottled distilled water.

I have found that the solution used to clean my records (distilled water, alcohol, and filming agent) needs to be refreshed after four lots. In my case one lot is four records. I have a nice circulation filter system that removes particulate, but there is microscopic debris on used records that the filter doesn't get.

But hell -- 12 clean records for the price of a tub of solution is well worth it.

One of the methods that is very important is to not handle the cleaned records with bare hands. I use surgical gloves so when I jacket the records in new vinyl sleeves they are CLEAN and ready for play. That's the other thing -- do not use the sleeves the records came in! :character-oldtimer:

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 4:30 pm 

Deionized water is like 500 times more pure than distilled

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Pelliott321 wrote:
Deionized water is like 500 times more pure than distilled

I still have to go with the it doesn't make any difference if you use distilled or de-ionized group. You're not mixing it with de-ionized alcohol or photoflo... And there's no way you're going to get the bottle you mix it in clean enough for the extra purity to matter...

Roscoe